Computer System Technician
Gain the in-depth skills to manage and solve the computer networking and security needs of all sizes and types of organizations. You will learn how to install, manage, and troubleshoot networks, information systems, and inter-networks, preparing you for computer technician careers.
What's in it for you?
- Network technician
- Network administrator
- Helpdesk support
- End-user support
Graduates can enter directly into the third year of Cambrian's Computer Systems Technology program.
Plan your future
Minimum technology requirements
- Regular access to a computer with a reliable Internet connection
- Web cam and headset
- Personal computer
- Operating System: Windows 10 Education or Professional (will be provided)
- Processor: 64-bit current generation Intel i5 or i7 (preferred) or AMD equivalent
- RAM: 16 GB (32 GB preferred)
- Storage: 100 GB free with min 10 GB for software installs
- Software: Packet Tracer 7.3, Tera Term, Putty, Kiwi Syslog Server, Open Source software (as required), Microsoft Software (distributed through AzureForEducation), MS Office, MS Project
Required software will be provided by Cambrian College. Instruction on how to obtain software will be provided to you. Some software that you may access as part of your program may not be compatible with every device. If you have any questions about these technology requirements, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (705) 566-8101, ext. 7303.
For a full list of how your program will be delivered click here.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
Cambrian College has implemented a BYOD policy to ensure a rich and flexible learning experience. Learn more about BYOD by clicking here.
System requirements for Assistive Technology
To access the widest range of Assistive Technology (AT), a Windows-based computer is recommended.
- Recommended OS: Windows 10 or newer
- Recommended CPU: Intel or AMD multicore processor
- Recommended RAM: 8 GB
- Recommended Storage for Assistive Technology: 8 GB of available Hard Drive of Solid State Drive Space (please note this is not the total drive size and refers specifically to available space needed for assistive technology)
- Recommended Audio: Speakers or Headphones for Text-to-Speech and Microphone for Speech Input
While Apple computers can provide many AT options, some specialized software may not be available/compatible with this platform. Please consult with the Glenn Crombie Centre for further details.