With Cambrian's on-campus outdoor training field, industry-experienced faculty, and track record as the longest-running Powerline Technician program in Ontario, you'll be prepared to take on the demands of this dynamic industry in any type of weather condition, at any time.
You will learn to work safely in various areas of the powerline technician trade and acquire skills in the drafting, design, construction, maintenance, and repair of powerline systems including:
- Transmission lines
- Overhead and underground distribution
- Communication networks
- Electrical power stations
You also have the option to begin an apprenticeship while earning your diploma towards your first powerline technician job that will come with a competitive salary.
Space in this program is limited.
What's in it for you?
- Powerline technician in engineering companies, contractors, equipment suppliers and utility companies.
Across these career outcomes, salaries in Canada range from:
$41,000 to $125,000
A Partnership with the Infrastructure Health and Safety Association allows you to take industry certificate courses prior to starting your powerline technician co-op and to network with industry members.
Plan your future
- Co-op education
Minimum technology requirements
- Regular access to a computer with a reliable Internet connection
- Web cam and headset
- Personal computer
- Windows 10 operating system
- Processor: i5 Intel i5 or equivalent processor
- Graphics: High-end graphics video card (consider a dedicated video card with 1 GB of video memory)
- RAM: 8 GB of RAM
- Storage space: 500 GB HD
For a full list of how your program will be delivered click here.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
Cambrian College has implemented a BYOD policy to ensure a rich and flexible learning experience. Learn more about BYOD by clicking here.
System requirements for Assistive Technology
To access the widest range of Assistive Technology (AT), a Windows-based computer is recommended.
- Recommended OS: Windows 10 or newer
- Recommended CPU: Intel or AMD multicore processor
- Recommended RAM: 8 GB
- Recommended Storage for Assistive Technology: 8 GB of available Hard Drive of Solid State Drive Space (please note this is not the total drive size and refers specifically to available space needed for assistive technology)
- Recommended Audio: Speakers or Headphones for Text-to-Speech and Microphone for Speech Input
While Apple computers can provide many AT options, some specialized software may not be available/compatible with this platform. Please consult with the Glenn Crombie Centre for further details.