Medical Laboratory Technology
Become a behind-the-scenes member of a health care team. Cambrian's program will prepare you with the medical detective skills to analyze and interpret scientific data to detect health issues and recommend courses of treatment for patients. As a certified medical laboratory technologist, you'll find a wide range of career opportunities in hospital and private labs, consulting, sales, and more.
A combination of classroom learning, laboratory exercises, and clinical placements prepare you for entry-level medical laboratory technology practice in each of the following five disciplines:
- Clinical hematology: blood and blood disorders including coagulopathies
- Transfusion science medicine: preparation and transfusion of blood and blood products
- Clinical chemistry: determination of the presence, absence, or quantity of chemical substances in body fluids
- Clinical microbiology: detection of bacteria, fungi, viruses, and other pathogens
- Clinical histotechnology: gross dissection and preparation of body fluids and tissues for microscopy
Space in this program is limited.Apply now!
What's in it for you?
- Medical laboratory technologist in hospitals, medical clinics, and private industry
Across these career outcomes, salaries in Canada range from:
$45,600 to $70,700
- Cambrian’s medical laboratory technology program is accredited by Accreditation Canada.
Graduates are eligible to write the national certification examination conducted by the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS)
Plan your future
Minimum technology requirements
- Regular access to a computer with a reliable Internet connection
- Web cam and headset
- Personal computer
- Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 operating system
- Web browser: Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer 10 or higher
- Apple Mac
- OS X operating system
- Web browser: Firefox or Safari
You’ll be accessing industry-standard software as part of your program. Your program coordinator and IT will set you up with access on your computer or within our campus labs. If you have any questions about these technology requirements, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (705) 566-8101, ext. 7303.
For a full list of how your program will be delivered click here.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
Cambrian College has implemented a BYOD policy to ensure a rich and flexible learning experience. Learn more about BYOD by clicking here.
System requirements for Assistive Technology
To access the widest range of Assistive Technology (AT), a Windows-based computer is recommended.
- Recommended OS: Windows 10 or newer
- Recommended CPU: Intel or AMD multicore processor
- Recommended RAM: 8 GB
- Recommended Storage for Assistive Technology: 8 GB of available Hard Drive of Solid State Drive Space (please note this is not the total drive size and refers specifically to available space needed for assistive technology)
- Recommended Audio: Speakers or Headphones for Text-to-Speech and Microphone for Speech Input
While Apple computers can provide many AT options, some specialized software may not be available/compatible with this platform. Please consult with the Glenn Crombie Centre for further details.