Design and Visual Arts
Whether you are a beginner or practicing artist, this program will help you prepare a varied portfolio of work to be used for entry into the art/design industry or for entry into advanced design or fine art diploma/degree programs.
In the first year of the program, you will experiment with a diverse cross-section of style and media, including drawing, two- and three-dimensional design, illustration, graphic design, web design, digital photography, and multimedia. This hands-on intensive year allows you to explore a wide range of media, subject, and style to strengthen your creative and artistic talents.
In the second year, you will select a specialization in drawing/illustration/painting, painting/mixed (2D and/or 3D), printmaking/mixed media, or digital photography/multimedia. You will be guided and mentored throughout these studio courses by practicing artists, gearing your personal project-based work towards an end-of-year exhibition.Apply now!
What's in it for you?
- Exhibiting artist
Graduates can purse studies in animation, graphic design and other artistic fields. As well you'll have created a portfolio to enter into the art/design industry or fine art diploma/degree programs.
Plan your future
Minimum technology requirements
- Regular access to a computer with a reliable Internet connection
- Web cam and headset
- Personal computer
- Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 operating system, (OS 10 preferred) OR
- Apple MacBook Pro 13- or 15-inch with at least 256 GB of storage (2015 or newer) or a 2018 MacBook Air
- Processor: 64-bit Intel or AMD multicore processor, Intel i5 minimum or AMD equivalent
- RAM: 8 Gb minimum, 16 Gb (preferred)
- Storage space: 100 Gb free with minimum 10 Gb for software installs
- Software: Adobe Creative Cloud
Required software will be provided by Cambrian College. Instruction on how to obtain software will be provided to you. Some software that you may access as part of your program may not be compatible with every device. If you have any questions about these technology requirements, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (705) 566-8101, ext. 7303.
For a full list of how your program will be delivered click here.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
Cambrian College has implemented a BYOD policy to ensure a rich and flexible learning experience. Learn more about BYOD by clicking here.
System requirements for Assistive Technology
To access the widest range of Assistive Technology (AT), a Windows-based computer is recommended.
- Recommended OS: Windows 10 or newer
- Recommended CPU: Intel or AMD multicore processor
- Recommended RAM: 8 GB
- Recommended Storage for Assistive Technology: 8 GB of available Hard Drive of Solid State Drive Space (please note this is not the total drive size and refers specifically to available space needed for assistive technology)
- Recommended Audio: Speakers or Headphones for Text-to-Speech and Microphone for Speech Input
While Apple computers can provide many AT options, some specialized software may not be available/compatible with this platform. Please consult with the Glenn Crombie Centre for further details.