Learn to help vulnerable or at-risk individuals, families, and groups deal with various personal and social problems through engaging fieldwork and in-depth casework. As a Social Service Worker student, you'll learn to be an effective communicator and understanding counsellor in order to encourage positive change in the lives of clients.
You will be challenged to bring a special level of maturity and motivation to your work, along with a commitment to work for social justice, a fundamental belief in the dignity and potential of people, and a desire to promote justice, equality, and access to culturally-appropriate services regardless of race, gender, age, religion, etc.
Cambrian's program is recognized by the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers, which allows you to apply to become a Registered Social Service Worker in Ontario when you graduate
Have a degree in a related field? You may be able to complete this program in just one year. Connect with us for more details.
Two supervised field experiences with a community-based organization are integral parts of the program. You should budget for expenses that may be incurred if your placements are out of town.
During the second semester, there will be a four-week placement in a community agency. The entire fourth semester will be a placement in a community agency.Apply now!
What's in it for you?
- Social services worker for social agencies, charitable organizations, clinics, foster and group homes, half-way houses, and long-term care facilities
Across these career outcomes, salaries in Canada range from:
$20,800 to $56,400
Persons who wish to use the title Social Service Worker or Registered Social Service Worker must be registered with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers. Generally, graduates who have obtained a two-year college diploma in social service work from a College of Applied Arts and Technology qualify for registration.
Plan your future
Minimum technology requirements
- Regular access to a computer with a reliable Internet connection
- Web cam and headset
- Personal computer
- Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 operating system
- Web browser: Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer 10 or higher
- Apple Mac
- OS X operating system
- Web browser: Firefox or Safari
For a full list of how your program will be delivered click here.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
Cambrian College has implemented a BYOD policy to ensure a rich and flexible learning experience. Learn more about BYOD by clicking here.
System requirements for Assistive Technology
To access the widest range of Assistive Technology (AT), a Windows-based computer is recommended.
- Recommended OS: Windows 10 or newer
- Recommended CPU: Intel or AMD multicore processor
- Recommended RAM: 8 GB
- Recommended Storage for Assistive Technology: 8 GB of available Hard Drive of Solid State Drive Space (please note this is not the total drive size and refers specifically to available space needed for assistive technology)
- Recommended Audio: Speakers or Headphones for Text-to-Speech and Microphone for Speech Input
While Apple computers can provide many AT options, some specialized software may not be available/compatible with this platform. Please consult with the Glenn Crombie Centre for further details.