Pre-Service Firefighter Education and Training
If you want to become a firefighter, Cambrian's partnerships with fire departments and the community offer you intensive practical experience and testing in both simulated and controlled live fire training scenarios. You’ll be prepared for firefighter jobs across Ontario.
The curriculum is based on the requirements for the NFPA 1001 and NFPA 472 standards as identified by the National Fire Protection Association. Graduates of the Pre-Service Firefighter Education and Training program are eligible to write the OFM Provincial Firefighter test, and upon successful completion of this test, can apply for standing under NFPA 1001 as Firefighter Level I and II from the Proboard.
What's in it for you?
- Entry-level firefighter
On-campus training on the College’s climbing wall and fire trucks, in the firefighter shop, and in the athletics centre. The program also offers simulated and controlled live fire training with the Greater Sudbury Fire Services.
Plan your future
Minimum technology requirements
- Regular access to a computer with a reliable Internet connection
- Web cam and headset
- Personal computer
- Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 operating system
- Web browser: Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer 10 or higher
- Apple Mac
- OS X operating system
- Web browser: Firefox or Safari
For a full list of how your program will be delivered click here.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
Cambrian College has implemented a BYOD policy to ensure a rich and flexible learning experience. Learn more about BYOD by clicking here.
System requirements for Assistive Technology
To access the widest range of Assistive Technology (AT), a Windows-based computer is recommended.
- Recommended OS: Windows 10 or newer
- Recommended CPU: Intel or AMD multicore processor
- Recommended RAM: 8 GB
- Recommended Storage for Assistive Technology: 8 GB of available Hard Drive of Solid State Drive Space (please note this is not the total drive size and refers specifically to available space needed for assistive technology)
- Recommended Audio: Speakers or Headphones for Text-to-Speech and Microphone for Speech Input
While Apple computers can provide many AT options, some specialized software may not be available/compatible with this platform. Please consult with the Glenn Crombie Centre for further details.