Emergency Services Communication
This one-year certificate program includes a 120-hour placement and all the training you’ll need to develop the knowledge, skills, and confidence to work under demanding scenarios in the field of 911 emergency operations. Courses will be delivered online and will equip you with skills in call management, crisis intervention, Canadian law, ethics, stress & wellness, emergency management, working with victims of crime, equipment and laboratory operations, systems management, and professional communications.
Students who score above 80% on their APCO Public Safety Telecommunicator course will receive a certificate from the Association of Public Safety Communications Officials.
What's in it for you?
- Emergency dispatcher
- 911 operator
- Dispatch services
- Crisis Centre communications
You’ll get the opportunity to complete an in-person, 120-hour placement in a 911 call centre environment which will expose you to the people, protocols, and technologies in the field.
Plan your future
Minimum technology requirements
- Regular access to a computer with a reliable Internet connection
- Web cam and headset
- Personal computer
- Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 operating system
- Web browser: Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer 10 or higher
- Apple Mac
- OS X operating system
- Web browser: Firefox or Safari
For a full list of how your program will be delivered click here.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
Cambrian College has implemented a BYOD policy to ensure a rich and flexible learning experience. Learn more about BYOD by clicking here.
System requirements for Assistive Technology
To access the widest range of Assistive Technology (AT), a Windows-based computer is recommended.
- Recommended OS: Windows 10 or newer
- Recommended CPU: Intel or AMD multicore processor
- Recommended RAM: 8 GB
- Recommended Storage for Assistive Technology: 8 GB of available Hard Drive of Solid State Drive Space (please note this is not the total drive size and refers specifically to available space needed for assistive technology)
- Recommended Audio: Speakers or Headphones for Text-to-Speech and Microphone for Speech Input
While Apple computers can provide many AT options, some specialized software may not be available/compatible with this platform. Please consult with the Glenn Crombie Centre for further details.