Acquire the skills and knowledge to become a member of civil engineering teams that are responsible for planning, costing, building, maintaining, and rehabilitating roads, bridges, buildings, water distribution systems, and pipelines. Courses are focused on applying professionalism towards drafting, surveying, construction methods, costing, quality control, inspections, and laboratory testing.
The College’s computer-aided drafting (CAD) laboratories provide you with practical, hands-on experience. You will also receive surveying training with electronic distance and angle measuring equipment that will be interfaced with coordinate geometry and drafting software. In addition, to meet the demand for structural steel detailers, you will learn automated structural detailing.
You will participate in a two-week field camp during the first part of May at the end of the second semester (SA approved safety boots mandatory). Attendance is compulsory to complete the program. Students are urged to let employers know that they are not available for summer employment until the course is officially completed.
What's in it for you?
- Consulting engineering firms
- Government departments
- Municipal engineering departments
- Construction firms
Across these career outcomes, salaries in Canada range from:
$31,000 to $70,000
- Graduates can seek membership with OACETT (Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists) to become certified as a C.Tech. (Certified Technician)
The Infrastructure Opportunities Program (IOP) and the Municipal Engineering Opportunities Program (MEOP) provide opportunities for some students to gain summer work experiences in the construction, consulting, and government sectors.
Plan your future
Minimum technology requirements
- Regular access to a computer with a reliable Internet connection
- Web cam and headset
- Personal computer
- Windows 10 operating system
- Web browser: Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer 10 or higher
- Processor: i7 Intel i7 or equivalent processor
- Graphics: High-end graphics video card (consider a dedicated video card with 1 GB of video memory)
- RAM: 8 GB of RAM
- Storage: 500 GB HD
- Software: Microsoft Office Suite (include Excel)
Please note, industry-standard software that you will access as part of your program will not be compatible with every device. These minimum technology requirements will allow you to access the software, but will not provide the optimal user experience. It is recommended you use a computer with stronger capabilities. If you have any questions about these technology requirements, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (705) 566-8101, ext. 7303.
For a full list of how your program will be delivered click here.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
Cambrian College has implemented a BYOD policy to ensure a rich and flexible learning experience. Learn more about BYOD by clicking here.