The Wabnode Centre for Indigenous Services at Cambrian College supports Indigenous, Métis, and Inuit students in their transition to College life helping to keep a connection to their community and culture throughout their College journey.
Our goal is to offer students support through this transition phase in their lives. From student support advisors to cultural programs, to just providing a space for friends to connect and enjoy a home away from home – we want to help students feel comfortable, be successful, and achieve their goals.
- Provide one-on-one support, guidance, and encouragement.
- Help students to maintain and achieve wellness and life balance through mental, emotional, and spiritual supports.
- Participate and lead various ceremonies and celebrations throughout the year.
- Lead various activities such as community circles, cultural teachings, community hand drumming and singing, Art Speaks, and the Elder’s Corner.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT AND PARTNERSHIPS
- Provide support to Indigenous partners.
- Develop and build relationships with community organizations, the College, and the student body, such as N’Swakamok Friendship Centre, Shkagamik-Kwe Health Centre, Native Housing, and Better Beginnings Better Futures.
- Participate in community Honouring Ceremonies.
- Collaborate with Indigenous education counsellors and facilitate student supports.
- Program delivery provided in communities, such as pre-apprenticeship.
- Develop memorandums of understanding with potential Indigenous partners.
INDIGENOUS STUDENT SUCCESS AND SUPPORT
Gchi-kinnomaagwein Miinwaa Enaadmaaget
- Assist students in identifying areas of difficulty and in developing strategies to improve their performance.
- Provide appropriate information, direction, and referral to other departments and agencies.
- Provide support services, through community agency referrals to students who are experiencing social/personal challenges in the areas of health, affordable housing, child–care, and financial need.
- Provide academic support to students.
- Assist students with funding and scholarship/bursary applications.
- Act as a liaison between the Wabnode and The Learning Centre for tutoring support.
- Encourage students to self-identify.
- Promote student life events across the College and throughout the community.
- Organize, support, and facilitate Indigenous student events and activities offered through Wabnode.
- Support students in their transition from their community to the city, helping to create a home away from home.
Director, Indigenous Student Success and Services
|(705) 566-8101 extension firstname.lastname@example.org|
Indigenous Community Development Officer
|(705) 566-8101, extension email@example.com|
Indigenous Student Success Navigator
|(705) 566-8101 extension 7969||
Indigenous Cultural Coordinator
|(705) 566-8101, extension firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Nokomis Martina Osawamick|
|(705) 566-8101, extension email@example.com|
|(705) 566-8101, extension firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mary Nicholls Russell|
|(705) 566-8101, extension email@example.com|