A registered 2nd Class power plant training facility on campus, curriculum that is endorsed by the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA), the only program of its kind in northern Ontario, are just a few of the reasons Cambrian's Power Engineering Technician program is in high demand.
You'll gain knowledge and skills in all aspects of power plant operation and maintenance, both theoretical and practical, at the 4th Class level in first year, and at the 3rd Class level in second year. Theoretical concepts discussed in class are further explained and illustrated in the College's Power Plant Training Facility – a registered 2nd Class plant where you will help operate and maintain equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
Subjects of instruction closely follow the Standardized Power Engineers Examination Committee (SOPEEC) syllabus and help prepare you to challenge the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) examinations required for 4th Class and 3rd Class certifications as an Operating Engineer.
What's in it for you?
- Certified 3rd Class operating engineer in manufacturing plants, co-generation facilities, mining operations, pulp and paper mills, hospitals, compressor plants and electrical generation plants.
Across these career outcomes, salaries in Canada range from:
$45,900 to $80,000
- Grads are eligible to challenge the TSSA examinations for 3rd Class certification as an Operating Engineer
- Program endorsed by the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA)
This program has been officially recognized and approved by the Technical Standards and Safety Authority. This will grant a qualifying time reduction to you upon successful completion of the program. It's also one of only four colleges in Ontario to offer this program.
Plan your future
Minimum technology requirements
- Regular access to a computer with a reliable Internet connection
- Web cam and headset
- Personal computer
- Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 operating system
- Web browser: Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer 10 or higher
- Apple Mac
- OS X operating system
- Web browser: Firefox or Safari
You’ll be accessing industry-standard software as part of your program. Your program coordinator and IT will set you up with access on your computer or within our campus labs. If you have any questions about these technology requirements, please email email@example.com or call (705) 566-8101, ext. 7303.
For a full list of how your program will be delivered click here.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
Cambrian College has implemented a BYOD policy to ensure a rich and flexible learning experience. Learn more about BYOD by clicking here.