Our Electrical Engineering Technician – Industrial Program prepares you to become an electrician technician in Ontario and beyond. Modelled after the in-school portions of the Basic Electrician Apprenticeship, our program includes practical, hands-on experience and in-class theoretical learning. You will gain theoretical knowledge in the areas of installation, troubleshooting, repair, and maintenance of complex electrical machinery. You will also apply electrical safety code and print reading knowledge to commercial and industrial installations. In addition, you will be introduced to Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), power electronics, and instrumentation fundamentals.
Optional Paid Co-op
Our Electrical Engineering Technician – Industrial Program features an optional, paid co-op directly related to your program of study. During this work-integrated learning experience, you’ll apply your skills and knowledge in an actual work environment, giving you industry training that you can showcase to potential employers when you graduate.
Graduates can continue into Cambrian's Electrical Engineering Technology – Industrial program.
You will be required to complete work preparation sessions prior to the work term to help you develop an industry-specific résumé and effective interviewing skills. Cambrian’s Career Centre will support you through this process and will also help you to source and apply for placement opportunities.
International students: Study permits prohibit international students from participating in optional co-ops. However, if you are an international student and are interested in work-integrated learning opportunities, visit Cambrian’s Career Centre to discuss available options with a co-op advisor. Opportunities may include volunteer positions or part-time or full-time jobs during academic breaks and/or during the academic year.
What's in it for you?
- Apprentice with contractors
- Apprentice with maintenance departments
- Apprentice with factories or plants
- Apprentice with mining operations
- Apprentice with utility companies
Graduates can continue into Cambrian's Electrical Engineering Technician – Industrial program.
Plan your future
Minimum technology requirements
- Regular access to a computer with a reliable Internet connection
- Web cam and headset
- Personal computer
- Windows 10 operating system
- Processor: i5 Intel i5 or equivalent processor
- Graphics: High-end graphics video card (consider a dedicated video card with 1 GB of video memory)
- RAM: 8 GB of RAM
- Storage space: 250 GB HD
Please note, industry-standard software that you will access as part of your program will not be compatible with every device. These minimum technology requirements will allow you to access the software, but will not provide the optimal user experience. It is recommended you use a computer with stronger capabilities. If you have any questions about these technology requirements, please email email@example.com or call (705) 566-8101, ext. 7303.
For a full list of how your program will be delivered click here.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
Cambrian College has implemented a BYOD policy to ensure a rich and flexible learning experience. Learn more about BYOD by clicking here.
System requirements for Assistive Technology
To access the widest range of Assistive Technology (AT), a Windows-based computer is recommended.
- Recommended OS: Windows 10 or newer
- Recommended CPU: Intel or AMD multicore processor
- Recommended RAM: 8 GB
- Recommended Storage for Assistive Technology: 8 GB of available Hard Drive of Solid State Drive Space (please note this is not the total drive size and refers specifically to available space needed for assistive technology)
- Recommended Audio: Speakers or Headphones for Text-to-Speech and Microphone for Speech Input
While Apple computers can provide many AT options, some specialized software may not be available/compatible with this platform. Please consult with the Glenn Crombie Centre for further details.