July 31 – August 25, 2023
This FREE program will help Indigenous students prepare for college. Participants will get to know the Cambrian community while discovering what services are available to help support them throughout their college journey.
Registration is open until July 15, 2023.Register For This Event
- No cost to join (all supplies provided)
- Food provided (two snacks and a lunch provided daily)
- Rooms in Cambrian Residence available if required
- Opportunity to build connections with Indigenous students, professors, and members of the Sudbury community
- Wholistic teachings will be provided to help ground participants in their college experience (based on the Medicine Wheel)
- Multiple workshops held by faculty in Cambrian College labs
- Academic skills and college success strategies will be woven throughout the program
- Introduction to available supports on and off campus
We will be exploring various themes throughout our 4 weeks together. These journeys will be organized in four gateways based on the Medicine Wheel.
Learn about medicines and crafting, and receive teachings from Elders and traditional knowledge keepers.
- Crafting workshops
- Campus Tours
- Introduction to Cambrian College’s learning platform
- Introduction to Indigenous Services at Cambrian College
- Introduction to Student Services
- English for College
- How to take effective notes
- How to write an Essay
Discover what emotional supports can be accessed at Cambrian and in Sudbury, and ways to release through ceremony and on the land.
- Learn how to use a bundle
- Inspiring stories will be shared by those who overcame difficult times
- Time management skills
- Massage Therapy lab
- Library services workshop
- Career Centre workshop
- Wampum belt making
- Mitt making
- Wigwam making and harvesting
Get to know more about Cambrian College, the Sudbury community, and the lands that surround us.
- Campus tours
- Visits to community agencies
- Hiking, Medicine Walks
- Team-building activities
- Exercise and nutritious cooking workshop
- Indigenous study strategies
- Program Lab Workshops as available
- Chemistry lab workshop
- Learning Centre workshop
- Indigenous cooking
Gain skills that will help with academic success.
- Goal setting and budgeting
- Workshops on essay writing, using the library, effective studying, and delivering presentations
- Mindfulness activities (painting and beading)
- Meet and greets with program coordinators and professors
- Mathematics workshop
- Trades Lab workshop
- Leadership challenges
- Identity workshop
Register by July 15, 2023.Register For This Event
For more information, contact:
Indigenous Transition Program Coordinator
(705) 566-8101, extension 6804
Please note: This program is being offered as part of a Research Study exploring the benefits of an Indigenous Transition Program. Participants will be asked if they would like to be a participant of the Research Study.