Learn by doing, and earn at the same time.
Apprenticeship is a hands-on training program for people who want to work in a skilled trade and who enjoy learning by doing. Apprentices are workers, so they earn as they learn. About 90% of apprenticeship training is provided in the workplace by employers. The remainder involves classroom instruction on theory.
The College offers the in-school portion for a variety of apprenticeship programs sponsored by the Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities.
Program offerings include:
- Carpentry Apprentice
- Millwright (Construction Industrial) Apprentice
- Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic Apprentice
- General Machinist Apprentice
- Welding / Metal Fabricator Apprentice
Depending on the skilled trade you choose, the length of training will vary between two and five years. There are three levels to complete, and most levels consist of 240 hours. During that time, you will earn a wage based on a percentage of a journeyperson’s wages.
2019-2020 Revised Cambrian College Seat Plan
|Revised April 18, 2019|
|# of Days||Classroom Fee||Planned||Max|
|General Machining - 429A||L1||GMAP||Aug 26/19||Oct 18/19||40||$400|
|General Machining + PE - 429A||L3||GMAP||Oct 21/19||Dec 13/19||45||$450||10||18|
|Millwright - 433A||L2||MTAP||Aug 26/19||Oct 18/19||40||$400||10||18|
|Millwright - 433A||L1||MTAP||Oct 21/19||Dec 13/19||40||$400||10||18|
|Welder/Metal Fab 456A/437A||L1||WMAP||Sept 16/19||Nov. 22/19||50||$500||10||18|
|Heavy Duty Equip - 421A (TUES)||L1||HDAP||Sep 10/19||Apr 19/20||40||$400||10||18|
|Heavy Duty Equip. (WED)||L2||HDAP||Sep 11/19||April 19/20||40||$400||10||18|
|Heavy Duty Equip. + PE (THURS)||L3||HDAP||Sep 12/19||May 24/20||45||$450||10||18|
|General Carpentry - 403A||L1||CGAP||Oct 21/19||Dec 13/19||40||$400||10||18|
|Refrigeration/AC -313A and 313D||L1||RAAP/RRAP||Oct 21/19||Dec 13/19||40||$400||10||18|
|Carpenter + PE||L3||CGAP||Jan 06/20||Mar 20/20||45||$450||10||18|
|Millwright + PE||L3||MTAP||Jan 06/20||Mar 20/20||45||$450||10||18|
|Refrigeration/AC - 313D||L1||RRAP||Jan 06/20||Mar 09/20||40||$400||10||18|
|Refrigeration/AC - 313A||L2||RAAP||Mar 09/20||May 8/20||40||$400||10||18|
|Welder 456A (TBD)||L2||WFAP/MFAP||Jan 20/20||Feb 28/20||30||$300||10||18|
|Welder 456A +PE||L3||WMAP||Mar 02/20||May 1/20||45||$450||10||18|
|OYAP - 2020|
|Heavy Duty - 421A||CVDC||Feb||June||4|
|General Carpenter - 403A||GCDC||Feb||June||6|
|Metal Fabricator 456A||MFDC||Feb||June||4|
The classroom fee for most apprenticeships (Carpentry, Millwright, Heavy Duty, and General Machinist) is $400 per level with the exception of Welding / Metal Fabricator.
|Level 1||$500||10 weeks / 300 hours||Level 1||$500||10 weeks / 300 hours|
|Level 2||$300||6 weeks / 180 hours||Level 2||$350||7 weeks / 210 hours|
|Level 3||$400||8 weeks / 240 hours||Level 3||$350||7 weeks / 210 hours|
Qualifications and requirements
- Most trades require completion of an OSSD or its equivalent.
- You must be a resident of Ontario.
- You must be sponsored as an apprentice.
Credits for academic and skill achievements
Apprentices who have previous work experience and education may be able to receive credits/exemptions which could reduce the duration of their apprenticeship. Otherwise individuals who wish to challenge the in-school apprenticeship program can write exemption exams at all levels. These examinations are available at all community colleges in the province.
Books and tools
Students will have to purchase books for the first level that will carry through to levels two and three.
The college will provides a list of required tools for your program. Some apprentices may be able to loan tools from their employer and some may be required to buy their own tools. The Government of Ontario offers a ‘Loans for Tools’ program to all new apprentices in order to assist them with the cost of purchasing the tools and equipment which they need for their trade.
You will receive an academic transcript from the Enrolment Centre for each of your levels. Upon completion of level three, you will also obtain a Cambrian College certificate. You will be invited to attend Convocation.
Red Seal designation
The Red Seal is the recognized passport to mobility in Trades across Canada. Not all skills training programs have a Red Seal designate. Visit the Red Seal website to see which trades are designated.
Helpful links / resources
- Ontario College of Trades (OCOT) – Apprenticeship students must become members of the Ontario College of Trades.
- College Apprenticeship Forum (CAF)
- Careers in Trades
- Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) – If you do not have an Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent, you can complete the ACE program free of charge through Cambrian’s Academic Upgrading office.
- Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program – Offered through Dual Credit for students under 21 still trying to complete an OSSD
- Canada Apprentice Loan Service Centre – An initiative of the Government of Canada to help you complete your apprenticeship in a designated Red Seal trade.
- Apprenticeship Grants – An initiative of the Government of Canada that provides up to $4,000 in federal apprenticeship grants to help you progress in or complete your apprenticeship in a designated Red Seal trade.
- Skills and Trades Training at Cambrian
- Become Tradesperson
How to apply
Contact the local Employment Ontario apprenticeship office to get help finding a sponsor. If you already have a sponsor, you can apply online.
159 Cedar Street, Suite 506
Sudbury, ON Canada P3E 6A5
Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities
17th Floor – Mowat Block
900 Bay Street
Toronto, ON Canada M7A 1L2