Skip to main content

Visas and study permits

As an international student, you are required to have a permit to study in Canada if your course of study spans longer than six months. If you’re enrolling in a program with a mandatory field placement or co-op, you must also apply for a permit to cover your work during that time.

Application requirements

You are required to provide the following to apply for a visa and study permit:

  • A letter of acceptance from Cambrian College
  • Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL)
  • Passport
  • Financial proof that you are capable of supporting yourself while studying at Cambrian College (tuition fees and living expenses)
  • Willingness to submit to a medical exam, if required
  • Biometrics: finger prints an photo
  • Ability to provide immunization records if your program of study requires it

Please visit the following links for more information on applying for your study permit:

Student Direct Stream (SDS) program

The Student Direct Stream Program (SDS), formerly known as the Student Partners Program (SPP), is a program in partnership with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The goal of the program is to make the process of receiving study permits more efficient for international students applying to study in Canada at Designated Learning Institutions (DLI).

You may qualify for the Student Direct Stream Program if you are a legal resident and are currently living in one of the countries found on this list.

How to apply for SDS

For international students to be eligible for fast processing times through the Student Direct Stream (SDS), they must follow the guidelines set out by IRCC.

Study permit FAQs