Bring your passion for fitness, health, and wellness to individuals of all ages and backgrounds through our two-year Fitness and Health Promotion program.
This program will prepare you for a career in the health and fitness industry through a hands-on approach to learning and will set you up to gain additional certifications in the field, such as your Canadian Society of Exercise Physiology Certified Personal Trainer (CSEP-CPT) designation and fitness certifications with the Ontario Fitness Council, Sport for Life, High Five, and the Coaching Association of Canada.
Courses will focus on health promotion, individual and group exercise programming, nutrition, fitness assessment, and recreation management. The program is also structured to give you interprofessional opportunities to interact with Cambrian’s Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy Assistant students, as well as Massage Therapy students.
This program is the only Fitness and Health Promotion program in Ontario with an outdoor recreation course. Enjoy being active outdoors while exploring what northern Ontario has to offer through camping trips and more!
In your final semester, you’ll apply your skills and knowledge in an actual work environment, giving you industry training that you can showcase to potential employers when you graduate.
What's in it for you?
- Athlete development coach
- Group exercise instructor
- Health and fitness assessor
- Health coach
- Personal trainer
- Program director or manager
- Recreation or fitness programmer
- Sport or fitness retail sales consultant
- There are a range of career options in private, public, and corporate health centres. Health and fitness professionals can be found working in municipal and community-based organizations, long-term care centres, resorts/hotels, parks, camps, and more!
Plan your future
- Flex learning
Minimum technology requirements
- Regular access to a computer with a reliable Internet connection
- Web cam and headset
- Personal computer
- Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 operating system
- Web browser: Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer 10 or higher
- Apple Mac
- OS X operating system
- Web browser: Firefox or Safari
For a full list of how your program will be delivered click here.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
Cambrian College has implemented a BYOD policy to ensure a rich and flexible learning experience. Learn more about BYOD by clicking here.
System requirements for Assistive Technology
To access the widest range of Assistive Technology (AT), a Windows-based computer is recommended.
- Recommended OS: Windows 10 or newer
- Recommended CPU: Intel or AMD multicore processor
- Recommended RAM: 8 GB
- Recommended Storage for Assistive Technology: 8 GB of available Hard Drive of Solid State Drive Space (please note this is not the total drive size and refers specifically to available space needed for assistive technology)
- Recommended Audio: Speakers or Headphones for Text-to-Speech and Microphone for Speech Input
While Apple computers can provide many AT options, some specialized software may not be available/compatible with this platform. Please consult with the Glenn Crombie Centre for further details.