Child and Youth Care
Graduate from Cambrian's three-year Child and Youth Care advanced diploma program in just two years. Our nationally-accredited program offers a condensed delivery format that allows you to graduate faster while providing you with all the knowledge and placement experiences you need to launch your career.
Through theory and lab courses and two block fieldwork semesters, you'll gain the knowledge and skills to work with children, adolescents, and their families who are experiencing emotional, behavioural, and mental health issues in a variety of settings. These setting include mental health, correctional, educational, and child welfare agencies and services.
Courses emphasize the acquisition of evidence-based theories and interventions, ensuring you can effectively facilitate positive change for children, youth, and their families.
Shift work, which includes nights, days, afternoons, and weekends, is a reality in many child and youth care settings (e.g. residential care), and students are required to follow the work schedules and routines of their fieldwork placements.Apply now!
What's in it for you?
- Child and Youth Care practitioner in:
- Community agencies
- Youth detention facilities
- The Children’s Aid Society
- Mental health agencies
- Residential care and treatment settings
- Cambrian's Child and Youth Care program is nationally-accredited by the Child and Youth Care Educational Accreditation Board (CYCEAB).
Every attempt is made to accommodate your request to complete your placements in the community/communities of your choice. However, it may be necessary to search for a placement opportunity outside of your preferred geographic area. You will be responsible for all placement-related costs.
Plan your future
Minimum technology requirements
- Regular access to a computer with a reliable Internet connection
- Web cam and headset
- Personal computer
- Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 operating system
- Web browser: Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer 10 or higher
- Apple Mac
- OS X operating system
- Web browser: Firefox or Safari
You’ll be accessing industry-standard software as part of your program. Your program coordinator and IT will set you up with access on your computer or within our campus labs. If you have any questions about these technology requirements, please email email@example.com or call (705) 566-8101, ext. 7303.
For a full list of how your program will be delivered click here.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
Cambrian College has implemented a BYOD policy to ensure a rich and flexible learning experience. Learn more about BYOD by clicking here.
System requirements for Assistive Technology
To access the widest range of Assistive Technology (AT), a Windows-based computer is recommended.
- Recommended OS: Windows 10 or newer
- Recommended CPU: Intel or AMD multicore processor
- Recommended RAM: 8 GB
- Recommended Storage for Assistive Technology: 8 GB of available Hard Drive of Solid State Drive Space (please note this is not the total drive size and refers specifically to available space needed for assistive technology)
- Recommended Audio: Speakers or Headphones for Text-to-Speech and Microphone for Speech Input
While Apple computers can provide many AT options, some specialized software may not be available/compatible with this platform. Please consult with the Glenn Crombie Centre for further details.