Active Sudbury Receives Funding To Promote Physical Literacy

Posted on Thursday March 1, 2018

Members of the Active Sudbury partnership launch their Greater Sudbury physical literacy initiative at Churchill Public School, and provide a demonstration of physical literacy exercises with some of the students. The Ontario Trillium Foundation is providing a grant of $450,000 over three years for the initiative. The funding was announced by Jeremy Dunton, Assistant to Sudbury MPP Glenn Thibeault.

SUDBURY, ON― Think of literacy and what comes to mind is the ability to read and write.

But there is another form of literacy that involves the ability to play.

Physical literacy is defined as the motivation, confidence, physical competence, knowledge and understanding to engage in physical activities. It involves teaching people such basic skills as the proper way to walk or run without injury, how to throw and catch a ball, and how to climb and jump safely.

Several partners in Greater Sudbury are bringing the message of physical literacy to the community, through a 3-year, $450,000 grant from the Ontario Trillium Foundation. It is one of the first initiatives of its kind in Ontario. The initiative was launched today at Churchill Public School, with a number of students taking part in a demonstration of physical literacy skills and drills.

Active Sudbury is an umbrella group dedicated to promoting healthy and active lifestyles in Greater Sudbury.  Partners in Active Sudbury includes Sport Link – Greater Sudbury Sports Council, the City of Greater Sudbury, Cambrian College, Laurentian University, and Public Health Sudbury & Districts.

The Active Sudbury physical literacy initiative will include training and certification in the principles of physical literacy for post-secondary students of Cambrian’s Physical Fitness Management Program and Laurentian University’s School of Education, other educators, coaches and members of the public.

These individuals will, in turn, continue to educate community members, from children to seniors, about the benefits of physical activity, how to incorporate principles of physical literacy into their programs, and how to support mental and physical well-being.  Training kits for this initiative are being provided by the Sport for Life Society, a national organization with expertise in physical literacy.

To learn more about Active Sudbury’s physical literacy initiative, visit the website (www.activesudbury.ca).

An agency of the Government of Ontario, the Ontario Trillium Foundation (OTF) is one of Canada’s largest granting foundations. With a budget of over $136 million, OTF awards grants to some 1,000 projects every year to build healthy and vibrant Ontario communities.

Media contact:
Randy Pascal
Executive Director, Sportlink; Committee Member, Active Sudbury
705-698-1627

QUOTES:

"This initiative will give more children the chance to engage in physical activities, and help make for a happier and healthier community.  I am proud to work with our many partners in this initiative as each group offers its expertise to provide more opportunities for the young people of Sudbury to learn about physical literacy.  Teaching physical literacy is about more that just teaching children the joys of playing sports.  When we give our kids the proper start in athletics, we are teaching them confidence, competence and creativity as well as helping develop motivation and goal setting." Honourable Glenn Thibeault, Ontario Minister of Energy, Sudbury MPP.

“I look forward to incorporating the principles of Physical Literacy in my Health and Physical Education courses with Teacher Candidates.  As well, part of our Active Sudbury initiative will be to help teachers include fundamental movement skills development into their fun, engaging and dynamic physical education class.”  - Carolyn Crang, Master Lecturer, Laurentian University’s School of Education.

“As a member of Active Sudbury and professor at Cambrian College, I’m very excited to bring our Physical Fitness Management students into this project. With generous support from the Trillium Foundation, Active Sudbury is laying the foundation for a healthier, more physically literate community. We’re inviting everyone to check out the website to see how they can benefit from the training, certification, and activity programs that we’ll be delivering.” - Martin Dubuc, Professor and Program Coordinator, Cambrian College Physical Fitness Management Program.

“We are proud to work alongside others who are committed to offering positive and innovative approaches to physical activity, and ensuring that adults who have the ability to positively influence children and youth have the necessary training and supports to help advance physical literacy in the community.” - Natalie Philippe, Public Health Nurse, Public Health Sudbury & Districts and Active Sudbury Co-Chair.

“The City of Greater Sudbury is pleased to partner with the Active Sudbury/Sudbury Actif project. This important initiative will help establish healthy habits to last a lifetime. It will advance the objectives of a citywide strategy for population health to promote strong bodies and sound minds through active play and regular physical exercise.” - Catherine Matheson, General Manager, City of Greater Sudbury Community Development.

Student Survey on Sexual Violence

Posted on Monday February 12, 2018
image

Attention Cambrian students. Sexual violence affects everyone. Help improve support services on our campus by taking part in the Student Voices on Sexual Violence survey in 2018. CCI Research is conducting this survey on behalf …

Continue reading