The Wabnode Centre for Indigenous Services at Cambrian College supports Indigenous, Métis, and Inuit students in their transition to College life helping to keep a connection to their community and culture throughout their College journey.
ELDERS ON CAMPUS
- Elders are available at various times throughout the week.
- Provide one-on-one support, guidance, and encouragement.
- Help students to maintain and achieve wellness and life
balance through mental, emotional, and spiritual support.
- Are available through an Elders’ pool to meet the needs of each individual student.
- Promotes a safe, supportive, and holistic environment for students.
- Fosters an understanding of Indigenous culture and people.
- Utilizes sacred space for cross-cultural awareness activities.
- Includes storytelling, traditional teachings, and traditional workshops.
COMMUNITY-BASED PROGRAM DELIVERY
- Develops Memorandums of Understanding with potential Indigenous partners.
- Provides support to Indigenous partners.
- Participates in the planning and organizing of New Horizons College Experience.
- Develops and builds relationships with community organizations, the College, and the student body.
- Participates in community Honoring Ceremonies.
INDIGENOUS STUDENT SUPPORT
Gchi-kinnomaagwein Miinwaa Enaadmaaget
- First point of contact in referring students.
- Provides appropriate information, direction, and referral to other departments and agencies as required.
- Provides support services, through community agency referrals to students who are experiencing social/personal challenges in the areas of health, affordable housing, child care, and financial need.
- Informs students when visits are scheduled with the Indigenous Education Counsellors.
- Assists students with the application process as well as funding applications.
- Guides students on a range of issues from professional to personal.
- Facilitates the Empowerment program.
- Provide relaxation and stress reduction techniques.
- Performs other duties such as faxing on behalf of students and contacting band offices
and education authorities to acquire funding information.
- Provides academic support to students.
- Acts as a liaison between the Wabnode Centre and The Learning Centre.
- Assists students with various academic struggles.
- Refers students to other staff tutors in The Learning Centre.
- Assists students in identifying areas of difficulty and in developing strategies to improve their performance.
INDIGENOUS ENGAGEMENT OFFICER
- Encourages students to self-identify.
- Promotes and facilitates the Wabnode Sport and Social Club.
- Organizes, supports, and facilitates Indigenous student events and activities at the College.
- Encourages student participation.
- Supports students in their transition from Northern communities to the city
Director, Indigenous Student Success and Services
|(705) 566-8101 extension firstname.lastname@example.org|
Indigenous Community Development Officer
|(705) 566-8101, extension email@example.com|
Indigenous Student Success Navigator
|(705) 566-8101 extension 7969||
Indigenous Cultural Coordinator
|(705) 566-8101, extension firstname.lastname@example.org|
Indigenous Student Engagement Officer
|(705) 566-8101, extension email@example.com|
|Mary Nicholls Russell|
|(705) 566-8101, extension firstname.lastname@example.org|
Indigenous Student Support Advisor
Student Support/Scholarships and Bursaries/Employment Support
Community-Based Program Delivery
Training Consultant for Community-Based Programs
- Academic and Career Entrance (ACE)
Culture (Led by Crane Clan)
– Cultural Program Facilitator
– Elders on Campus