be_ixf;ym_202309 d_29; ct_50
Please enable JavaScript in browser settings for optimal use.
Go back to Resources

Continuing Education FAQ

Web-based, internet, and online – all words used to describe the acquisition of college credits through courses delivered via the Internet. This type of learning takes place outside of the traditional classroom setting.

There are no set class times, no set days per week. Students are able to access the course at times that are convenient to them from a computer that may be located just about anywhere. Course material is accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Through an Internet portal, students log-in to course modules. These modules contain the same type of material that you would receive in a traditional classroom setting – lecture material and notes, reading assignments, student assignments, questions and answers, classroom discussion, as well as homework.

Professor-led learning takes place through different learning activities, online resources, as well as through exchanges of information in discussion forums and live chats. NOTE: For some programming and computer courses, students must provide their own software. Please refer to the individual course descriptions for any additional information and/or requirements.

Please note: all courses have start and end dates. In addition, there will be due dates for assignments, tests, etc. Thus, students are required to log into the course and download their course schedule during the first week of the course.

  1. Look for your professor’s contact information. He or she is the person who can answer your questions about the course. **Please give the professor 24 hours to respond to emails or phone calls (Mon-Fri).
  2. Find out when assignments and tests are due.
  3. Mark those dates on a calendar that is handy, and keep it in sight.
  4. Book your tests at a local college – you don’t need to come to Cambrian College to write your tests unless you live in the Greater Sudbury Area. If you live outside of the City of Greater Sudbury, please email at least two weeks before you write your test.
  5. Look at the course information and plan when you are going to read, do research, and stud
  6. Stick to your plan!

Textbooks for courses often change up to (and even during) the first week of the course. Please check the book lists regularly to make sure you have the right extension.

Go to Resources and click on your semester’s Booklist.

You can order books online from the bookstore website, by phone, or in person.

If you can’t find the book there, try or

Make sure you keep track of the drop date! This is the date where you can drop your course and get some money back. Once the drop date has passed, you will not get a refund. It is usually 14 days after your course begins.

Things happen in life – work, health, family just to name a few. Sometimes you may not be able to keep up in a course because of things that come up. You can get a course withdrawal instead of an F – it looks MUCH better on your transcript!

You can withdraw from MOST courses if you do so up to 2/3 of the way through the course.

Drop & Withdrawal: Send an email to with the following information:

  • First and last name
  • Student number
  • Course code (ex: ACC1100)
  • Request to withdraw or Drop from the course

There is list of tests, exams and assignments for all Ontario Learn courses. Have a look! Find out on the Resources page.

In most cases, the answer is yes! How do you do that? Guess what – we have that information for you too on our website! Find out on the Resources page.

Students in the City of Greater Sudbury

For courses that require a final exam, students within the City of Greater Sudbury can write the final exam before the end date of the course in our Testing Centre at the Barrydowne campus, 1400 Barrydowne Road, Room 3522.

The Testing Centre schedule is posted on the Cambrian College website.

OntarioLearn students will be contacted to let them know when their exams are ready. They should not go to the Test Centre until they have been notified, as their exam may not be there.

You are required to book an appointment for your exam. Their contact information can be found on our website at:    Please remember to bring photo id as it is required.

Please bring a completed copy of the Testing Centre Pass with you. This will be emailed to you when you are notified of the need to book your exam.

You have a specified amount of time to write each test. Check with your professor for format (online or paper) and details.

Exams for students outside the City of Greater Sudbury

Students who do not live in the City of Greater Sudbury must complete the Off-Campus Course Examination Agreement form listing the contact information for the individual who has agreed to supervise the examination. This form is also available by emailing

Send the completed form to

Cambrian College – Continuing Education
1400 Barrydowne Road
Sudbury, ON P3A 3V8
Fax: (705) 524-7334

Invigilators may not be a relative. Approved invigilators may be teachers, supervisors, clergy, etc. Also, students may book tests at a local community college in their area. Once the invigilator is approved by the Continuing Education department, tests and exams will be sent directly to the Invigilator.

Please ask the invigilator to return all tests and exams immediately for marking in the envelopes that will be provided with the exam.

Have you been out of school for a while? Do you have difficulties with certain subjects? Do you need help to organize yourself with your online course?

The Learning Centre at Cambrian College offers online tutoring for many subjects including math, physics, chemistry, and study strategies. Don’t wait until it’s too late! Get help as soon as you can. We want you to succeed! Contact

Do you know how to log in? Do you have questions about the course content? Do you have questions about pre-requisites? If so, contact Continuing Education at or (705) 566-8101, extension 7373.

If you need to have support services, please register with The Glenn Crombie Centre for Accessibility, Counselling and Wellness via email at or by phone at 705-566-8101 extension 7420.

A program consists of several courses. Students must register for a program in order to receive a certificate when they are done the program. If students successfully complete all of the courses, they can get a certificate for the program.

Many courses offered in Continuing Education require that students complete a prerequisite course(s) to be able to take a subsequent course. This requirement is to ensure that students have the foundation skills necessary to be able to handle the course content and successfully complete the course evaluations. Prerequisite course requirements are listed in our calendar in both course descriptions as well as certificate descriptions, and are also listed with all course descriptions on the web. Students are advised that ignoring the prerequisite requirements and registering in a course without having completed the necessary prerequisite(s) may result in being withdrawn from the course and course costs being withheld by the College as per our refund policies.

Students who have successfully completed postsecondary studies at another institution may apply for transfer credits (TC). Only those courses in which the student has obtained a minimum “C” grade or 60% will be considered. To determine eligibility, detailed course information is required and an official transcript must support each application for transfer credit. Credit is granted on a course-by-course basis. Requests to review possible transfer credits are made with the appropriate academic program administrator. Please note that any transfer credits granted are recorded on the academic record as “TC” and are not computed into the grade point average (GPA).

NOTE: We cannot review possible transfer credits until we have received official transcripts (must come directly from the institution) and complete course outlines (course descriptions are not adequate).

A course replacement is an internal transfer credit which recognizes that a formal academic course successfully completed at Cambrian is deemed equivalent to (i.e., meets the learning outcomes of) another Cambrian course. A minimum grade of “D” or 50% is required. As proof of successful completion, a grade must appear in the student’s academic record at Cambrian. When a course replacement is granted, the grade earned and the credit value of the replacement course is used in the calculation of the GPA.

Note: Based on the time elapsed since the original course was taken and the subject matter, the College reserves the right to request additional documentation if current relevancy is in  question (e.g., an introduction to computer course taken 10 years ago may be deemed as not currently relevant). is a consortium of all Ontario Community Colleges who have partnered to develop and deliver on-line courses. Each partner college selects courses from the course inventory that will complement its existing distance education offerings. This partnership approach has allowed member colleges to optimize resource use, avoid duplication and, more importantly, increase the availability of on-line learning opportunities for their students.

Through this virtual classroom environment, students can pursue their educational goals – whether that be the completion of a single course or the fulfillment of a college certificate or diploma. Students can take courses from their home or office, accessing their course at their convenience. Learning is facilitated by a professor who is available to answer questions, encourage discussion on course topics, and provide feedback. Course professors and fellow classmates may live anywhere in Canada, the U.S. or somewhere else in the world. (Boundaries are endless on the Web).

NOTE: For some programming and computer courses, students must provide their own software. Please refer to the individual course descriptions for any additional information and/or requirements.

Students registered for Cambrian eLearning (Cambrian Moodle) and courses will receive an e-mail containing a password, instructions on how to log in, where to locate a booklist, and who to contact. Only registered students with a user ID and password can log into a course. Once a student logs in, he/she will receive further instructions, course information, assignments and other course related resources. He/she will also be able to interact with his/her professor and fellow classmates. Some courses may have scheduled chat sessions and/or group work.

Please refer to the Continuing Education Refund Policy under Continuing Education Policies.

Through the Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) process, students may be able to acquire college credits for their experiential learning, such as work experience, volunteer activities and attendance at workshops, conferences or corporate training programs.

This enables students to receive a diploma or certificate in less time and with less cost.

Please note that not all courses are available for challenge and that there is a fee for each course challenged. For further information, visit, send an e-mail to or call 705-566-8101, extension 7584.

Unofficial transcripts may be released directly to students upon request. Official transcripts are signed by the Registrar and bear the College seal. They are released only at the students’ request and sent directly to the receiving party or institution. All requests for transcripts should be directed to the Office of the Registrar at transcripts@cambriancollege.caor (705) 566-8101, extension 3003.

Official tax receipts (T2202) for courses taken between January 1st and December 31st, will not be mailed to you. Receipts will be provided through the student portal, myCambrian. Receipts will only be available when the tuition paid exceeds $100 and if the course is more than 2 credits.

Financial Aid Office and OSAP Information
Cambrian College of Applied Arts and Technology
1400 Barrydowne Road
Sudbury, ON P3A 3V8

705-566-8101 extension 7340
1-800-461-7145 (in Ontario)
Fax: 705-524-7307

Students working towards any certificate or diploma must earn a minimum of 25 credits or 25% of that program (whichever is greater) at Cambrian College. Where a program consists of less than 25 credits, students will be required to earn a minimum of 25% of the program at Cambrian College. The courses taken must be different from courses already taken for credit toward a previous certification. Advanced standing, transfer credits and credits earned through the Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition process are not credited toward residency.

Final grades are due in the Office of the Registrar from 3 to 4 weeks following the end date of a course. Grades are not official until posted by that office. Grades will not be released via email or over the telephone. Please note that you can view your grades as soon as they are posted through myCambrian. Please note that due to the postsecondary promotion process, there may be a short “black-out” period at the end of the semester where final grades will not be viewable on eGrades.