Cambrian College’s Applied Research department requires a full-time Mechanical Engineering Research Lead beginning November 2019.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborating with the Director of Applied Research and the Manager of the Technology Access Centre, the Centre for Smart Mining, the successful candidate will interact with clients providing customer support and product development.
- Analyze problems and challenges from partners to determine how mechanical devices might help solve the problem.
- Develop assembly procedures and other manufacturing documentations.
- Design manufacturing fixtures and mechanical parts as required using CAD and/or SolidWorks.
- Develop and test prototypes of the devices they design for clients of Cambrian’s Applied Research Department.
- Analyze the test results and change the design as needed.
- Oversee the manufacturing process for devices or proceses on projects.
- Utilize Applied Research’s suite of prototyping equipment.
- Provide Project Management on Cambrian College projects with a mechanical focus.
- Actively promote and uphold solid workplace safety standards and be an effective role model in this regard.
- Four-year degree in the field of Mechanical Engineering along with a professional designation as Mechanical Engineer, P. Eng. (A copy of educational documents and designation must be submitted with application.)
- Licensed under the Professional Engineers of Ontario (a copy of this license must be submitted with application).
- Three years of experience working in a Design Engineering or Manufacturing environment in industry, along with experience within a ledership or supervisory role.
- Demonstrated understanding of the value and practice of applied research with a solid understanding of research protocols, experimental design, and scientific methods.
- Excellent research, data analysis, and strong financial and budget acumen.
- Experience and skilled in reading and interpreting engineering drawings.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills and the talent to build and maintain strong industury relationships.
- Proven ability to lead, develop, coach, and motivate knowledge workers.
- Sound judgement, risk analysis, and problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Flexibility and adaptability and the ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure, high-demand environment with constantly changing priorities.
Assets / Preferred
- PMP designation.
- Experience operating manufacturing equipment such as CNC machines.
- Experience in a unionized environment.
- Experience working in a postsecondary environment.
CANDIDATES MUST PROVIDE A COPY OF THE FOLLOWING WITH APPLICATION:
(Failure to attach the required documentation may disqualify applicants.)
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Designation Mechanical Engineer, P. Eng.
- Professional Engineers of Ontario Licence.
Interested individuals may apply, by email only, with a cover letter quoting the competition number, and a résumé, detailing education and experience, to:
Human Resources Department
While all responses are appreciated, only those applicants who will be invited for an interview will be contacted.
Cambrian College is committed to creating an accessible, inclusive, and diverse workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals, including; women; persons with disabilities; racialized peoples; Indigenous people; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression. All who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the College environment are encouraged to apply.