Cambrian College’s Applied Research department requires a full-time Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Research Lead beginning November 2019.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborating with the Director of Applied Research and the Manager of the Technology Access Centre, the Centre for Smart Mining, the successful candidate will interact with clients to provide customer support and product development on applied research projects with an electronics and/or computer science focus.
- Analyze problems and challenges from partners to determine how electronic devices and processes might help solve the problem.
- Develop assembly procedures and other manufacturing documentations.
- Design electronic fixtures and parts as required using CAD and SolidWorks in particular.
- Develop and test prototypes of the devices they design for clients of Cambrian’s Applied Research Department; analyze test results and change the design as needed.
- Oversee the manufacturing process for the device or process.
- Utilize Applied Research’s suite of electronics prototyping equipment.
- Provide project management on Cambrian College projects with an electrical, electronics, or computer science focus.
- Actively promote and uphold solid workplace safety standards and be an effective role model.
- Four-year degree in the field of Electrical Engineering or Electronics Engineering along with a professional designation as Electrical Engineer, P. Eng. (A copy of educational documents and designation must be submitted with application.)
- Licensed under the Professional Engineers of Ontario (a copy of this license must be submitted with application).
- Three years of experience working in an Electrical or Electronics design environment in industry.
- Experience in schematic and layout design and schematic capture and PCB design; ability to read and effectively interpret engineering drawings.
- Proficient in “C” programming and other programming languages.
- Knowledge of network infrastructure/devices and wireless communication protocols (such as WiFi and LTE).
- Demonstrated understanding of the value and practice of applied research with a solid understanding of research protocols, experimental design, and scientific methods.
- Excellent research, data analysis, and strong financial and budget acumen.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills and the talent to build and maintain strong industry relationships.
- Sound judgement, risk analysis, and problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Flexibility and adaptability and the ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure, high-demand environment with constantly changing priorities.
Assets / Preferred
- PMP designation.
- Experience operating equipment such as an EMC chamber, pick and place, and reflow oven.
- Experience in a unionized environment.
- Experience working in a postsecondary environment.
CANDIDATES MUST PROVIDE A COPY OF THE FOLLOWING WITH APPLICATION:
(Failure to attach the required documentation may disqualify applicants.)
- Degree in Electrical Engineering or Electronics Engineering or Computer Engineering.
- Designation Electrical Engineer, P. Eng., or Electronics Engineer, P. Eng., or Computer Engineer, P. Eng.
- Professional Engineers of Ontario Licence.
Interested individuals may apply, by email only, with a cover letter quoting the competition number, and a résumé, detailing education and experience, to:
Human Resources Department
While all responses are appreciated, only those applicants who will be invited for an interview will be contacted.
Cambrian College is committed to creating an accessible, inclusive, and diverse workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals, including; women; persons with disabilities; racialized peoples; Indigenous people; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression. All who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the College environment are encouraged to apply.