Cambrian College’s Office of the President requires a full-time Coordinator, President’s Office and Liaison to the Board of Governors beginning February 2019.
Reporting to the President, the Coordinator President’s Office and Liaison to the Board of Governors, provides strategic advice, governance, counsel, and senior-level support to the President, the Board of Governors, and the College’s Senior Team. This includes a wide range of internal and external issues and opportunities, with a central role in ensuring alignment with Cambrian College’s mission, vision, and strategic direction.
The Coordinator provides governance and administrative and secretariat support to the Board of Governors, ensuring seamless planning and coordination with Board.
As Coordinator, the incumbent coordinates the strategic planning process and reporting, ensuring the most effective and impactful delivery of the College’s overall mission and strategic goals. This role is a part of the College’s Senior Team, providing support to key stakeholders, and overseeing the business functions of the Office of the President, including supervision of office staff. This position acts as the governance lead and provides counsel on various institutional matters as appropriate.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the President and the Senior Team, facilitating the overall strategic planning and implementation of multi-year plans and reporting.
- Participate in senior leadership meetings and support the work of the Senior Team by identifying linkages and emerging issues and opportunities between portfolios and by making recommendations that enhance systems/processes/programs that support the priorities of the College.
- Gather information and research to ensure the President is appropriately informed of internal and external developments, which have the potential to affect the College and/or require the engagement of the President.
- Provide direction, operational management, and oversight for the Office of the President.
- Supervise office staff to ensure the provision of superior customer service standards.
- Coordinate communications of the Office of the President with the College’s Communications team, ensuring delivery of speeches, position papers, background or presentation materials, media responses, and/or social media is in alignment with Cambrian’s strategic direction.
- Liaise with the College Advancement team on all activities involving direct participation of the President.
- Represent the President’s Office and/or the College at internal and external meetings and events, associations, and community partnerships.
- Provide senior-level governance advice and support to the Chair, Executive Committee, and members of the Board of Governors, and its sub-committees.
- Serve as Secretary to the Cambrian College Board of Governors, and to the Cambrian College Foundation Board of Directors, and work collaboratively with the Associate Vice President of Strategic Enrolment and College Advancement and Executive Director to the Cambrian College Foundation.
- Advise the Board Chair, the President, and Senior Team on matters relating to Ministerial policies and directives, Board by-laws, policies, and procedures.
- Facilitate the search, election, and transition of new members of the Board of Governors and Board of Directors.
- Support the Chair’s activities to ensure effective coordination with the activities of the Office of the President and Board of Governors.
- Oversee the development of work plans, scheduling, and reporting for committees/sub-committees of the Boards.
- Maintain on-going communication and a collaborative relationship between the Board of Governors, its sub committees, and the Board of Directors and its sub committees.
- Provide the President, Board Chair, and Senior Team with effective advice on a variety of governance issues to ensure effective and appropriate executive, institutional, and policy decisions.
- Liaise with the College’s legal counsel and consultants, as appropriate, and review and prepare institutional policies, contracts, and other documents as directed by the Board of Governors or the President.
- Three-year postsecondary diploma combined with a College Graduate Certificate or a Baccalaureate Degree, preferably in Business, Public Relations, Political Science, or Communications. (A copy of educational documents must be submitted with application.)
- Must have seven years of progressive work experience providing strategic, executive-level support in a postsecondary, government, research institute or other relevant environment.
- Demonstrated experience in board governance, whether in the public or private sector.
- Proven track record as a strategic thinker, working effectively with senior-level executives, governing bodies, and stakeholders.
- Proven communication and relationship management skills, including an ability to influence and develop productive working relationships with key stakeholders.
- Knowledge of legislative and governance processes.
- Strong project management, analytical, budget, and planning skills.
- Effective judgement, discretion, and diplomacy in dealing with confidential and sensitive matters, and key internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize competing demands and meet deadlines while having superior attention to detail and ensuring a high standard of quality work, while maintaining a steady and professional demeanor.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Proven ability to communicate (in writing and verbally) at an executive level.
- Strong analytical, organizational, time-management, and multitasking skills, and the ability to maintain complex operational demands and to meet deadlines.
CANDIDATES MUST PROVIDE A COPY OF THE FOLLOWING WITH APPLICATION:
(Failure to attach the required documentation may disqualify applicants.)
- Postsecondary diploma with College Graduate Certificate or Baccalaureate Degree.
Interested individuals may apply, by email only, with a cover letter quoting the competition number, and a résumé, detailing education and experience, to:
Human Resources Department
While all responses are appreciated, only those applicants who will be invited for an interview will be contacted.
Cambrian College is committed to creating an accessible, inclusive, and diverse workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals, including; women; persons with disabilities; racialized peoples; Indigenous people; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression. All who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the College environment are encouraged to apply.