Cambrian College, located in the beautiful City of Greater Sudbury, is a leading postsecondary institution with a vibrant and diverse community of learners – over 11,000 full- and part-time students who have chosen Cambrian and northern Ontario as their education destination. Cambrian offers innovative programming and cutting-edge research, with an emphasis on experiential learning and a multi-platform teaching approach.
Cambrian College’s Schools of Business and Information Technology, Creative Arts, Design, and Music, and Hospitality requires a full-time Chair beginning September 2019.
The Schools of Business and Information Technology, Creative Arts, Design, and Music, and Hospitality offers acclaimed programs taught by accomplished faculty. Students in these programs are provided with an outstanding learning experience and routinely compete and win local, provincial, and national competitions that are a testament to their high-caliber skills. Examples of these competitions include: the Ontario and National Technological Skills Competitions, the Registered Graphic Designers Student Awards, and a variety of Music competitions and festivals. Students also benefit from learning opportunities through private- and public-sector placements, applied research projects, innovative industry-sponsored experience programs, and unique hands-on learning opportunities both in Sudbury and around the world.
Reporting to the Dean, the Chair has academic and administrative responsibility for the programs within the School. Leading a team of program coordinators, faculty, and staff, the incumbent is responsible for the ongoing management, planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of Cambrian’s programs within the Schools of Business and Information Technology; Creative Arts, Design, and Music; and Hospitality. This will include academic planning, leading the development of new courses and programs, overseeing curriculum and program renewal processes, developing faculty assignments, budget development, and continuing to build strong partnerships with both internal and external partners. As a member of the Academic Leadership Team at Cambrian, the incumbent will also support the College’s Strategic Plan and ensure that our programs reflect the needs of our community and the diverse student body that we serve.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide academic leadership and management of the school’s day-to-day operations.
- Develop, monitor, and support budget activity for the respective program areas as well as monitor and ensure the attainment of annual financial targets.
- Actively participate in the selection and hiring of full-time and contract faculty within the school.
- Lead on-going faculty development initiatives within the school.
- Ensure all courses and programs offered within the School meet or exceed established internal and external standards for accreditation, relevance, and quality; and that they comprise a strategic mix of offerings that are relevant to the needs of students and the community at large, and are consistent with the College’s Strategic Plan.
- Collaborate with the Dean and contribute to the development of multi-year capital plans.
- Master’s degree in any related field. (A copy of educational documents must be submitted with application.)
- Minimum of five years recent postsecondary leadership; progressive experience within an academic or administrative role.
- Experience in supervising professionals within a unionized environment.
- Solid understanding and commitment to student success, teaching excellence, and quality education.
- Outstanding skills in mediation, facilitation, and negotiation with a strong commitment to fostering a collegial and collaborative work environment.
CANDIDATES MUST PROVIDE A COPY OF THE FOLLOWING WITH APPLICATION:
- Postsecondary degree.
Interested individuals may apply, by email only, with a cover letter quoting the competition number, and a résumé, detailing education and experience, to:
Human Resources Department
While all responses are appreciated, only those applicants who will be invited for an interview will be contacted.
Cambrian College is committed to creating an accessible, inclusive, and diverse workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals, including; women; persons with disabilities; racialized peoples; Indigenous people; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression. All who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the College environment are encouraged to apply.