Cambrian College, located in the beautiful city of Greater Sudbury, is a leading postsecondary institution with a vibrant and diverse community of learners – over 11,000 full- and part-time students have chosen Cambrian and northern Ontario as their education destination. Cambrian offers innovative programming, is engaged in cutting-edge applied research, and places an emphasis on hands-on and experiential learning.
Cambrian College’s Schools of Skills Training, Engineering Technology, and Environmental Studies requires a full-time Chair, School of Skills Training beginning January 2020.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Dean, the Chair has academic and administrative responsibility for the programs within the School of Skills Training. Leading a team of program coordinators, faculty, and staff, the incumbent is responsible for the ongoing management, planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of Cambrian’s postsecondary and apprenticeship programs within the School. This will include academic planning, leading the development of new programs, overseeing curriculum and program renewal processes, developing faculty assignments, budget development, and continuing to build strong partnerships with both internal and external partners.
As a member of the Academic Leadership Team at Cambrian, the incumbent will also support the College’s Strategic Plan and ensure that our programs reflect the needs of our community and the diverse student body that we serve.
Students in Skills Training programs are provided with an outstanding learning experience and routinely compete in and win provincial and national Skills competitions that are a testament to their high-caliber skills. Students also benefit from learning opportunities through private- and public-sector placements, applied research projects, innovative industry-sponsored experiential learning opportunities, and unique hands-on learning opportunities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSBILITIES:
- Provide academic leadership and management of the school’s day-to-day operations.
- Develop, monitor, and support budget activity for the respective program areas, as well as monitor and ensure the attainment of annual financial targets.
- Lead on-going faculty development initiatives within the School.
- Actively participate in the selection, hiring, and ongoing development of full-time and contract faculty within the School.
- Ensure all courses and programs offered within the School meet or exceed established internal and external standards for accreditation, relevance, and quality; and that they comprise a strategic mix of offerings that are relevant to the needs of students and the community at large, and are consistent with the College’s Strategic Plan.
- Collaborate with the Dean and contribute to the development of multi-year capital plans.
- Minimum of Journeyperson Red Seal Endorsed Trade Certificate or completion of a four-year degree relevant to the Schools of Skills Training, Engineering Technology, and Environmental Studies. (A copy of educational documents or certificate must be submitted with application.)
- Minimum of five years progressive leadership experience within an academic or administrative role, combined with professional experience in a related field. Experience in a postsecondary institution is an asset.
- A demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective and engaging relationships with students, faculty, staff, and industry representatives, with a strong commitment to fostering a collegial and collaborative work environment.
- Solid understanding and commitment to student success, teaching excellence, and quality education.
- Extensive leadership experience managing budgets, supervising staff, and a willingness to embrace and champion change.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to collaborate and work effectively with various stakeholders.
- Advanced strategic thinking knowledge and skill, negotiation, and analytical skills.
- A high degree of initiative, follow through, and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated knowledge of curriculum development processes would be considered an asset, as would be the ability to integrate new technologies into curriculum development and review.
- Experience with third party accreditation bodies is considered an asset (Apprenticeship and Industry Training).
- Competent use of technology (Microsoft Office).
Assets / Preferred
- Experience in adult education at the postsecondary level or in training.
- Relevant graduate degree.
CANDIDATES MUST PROVIDE A COPY OF THE FOLLOWING WITH APPLICATION:
- Journeyperson Red Seal Endorsed Trade Certificate and/or four-year degree relevant to the Schools of Skills Training, Engineering Technology, and Environmental Studies.
Interested individuals may apply, by email only, with a cover letter quoting the competition number, and a résumé, detailing education and experience, to:
Human Resources Department
While all responses are appreciated, only those applicants who will be invited for an interview will be contacted.
Cambrian College is committed to creating an accessible, inclusive, and diverse workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals, including; women; persons with disabilities; racialized peoples; Indigenous people; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression. All who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the College environment are encouraged to apply.