be_ixf;ym_202312 d_08; ct_50
Please enable JavaScript in browser settings for optimal use.
Go back to Academic Policies

Advanced Standing and Credit Transfer Policy

Approved by: Academic Advisory Council – December 2, 2013

Approved by Senior Team – December 11, 2013

Effective Date – December 11, 2013

Replaces – N/A

Students possessing qualifications beyond the minimum entrance requirements (such as successful completion of course work at another college or university, a professional designation, or Ontario Academic Credit (O.A.C.)), may be granted credit for these if, in the opinion of the Dean or designate, the course is equivalent to the corresponding course of study at the College. Credit may also be granted for prior learning obtained through work or life experience through the prior learning and recognition process (refer to the section on Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition).

Every effort is made to facilitate transfer of credits from other colleges or universities. Students must be aware, however, that programs of study vary from one institution to another, as do specific course requirements.

Transfer Credit

An official transcript as well as a complete course outline must support each application for transfer credit. For courses taken at another college or university, the student must have obtained a minimum grade of ‘C’ or 60% to be considered or the existing pass threshold of the course at Cambrian, whichever is higher. An Ontario Academic Credit (O.A.C.) course requires a minimum grade of ‘B’ or 70% in order to qualify, or the existing pass threshold of the course at Cambrian, whichever is higher. The transfer credits from other institutions are transcribed on the Academic Record as TC and are not computed into the grade point average.

Course Replacement

Credits transferred within Cambrian College from one program to another will be recorded with the grade earned and the same will be used in the calculation of the grade point average, when possible. A minimum grade of ‘D’ or 50% is required, or the existing pass threshold of the course for which the course replacement is being applied, whichever is higher.

Advanced Standing

Students who have graduated from another college or university program will have their program of study determined in consultation with the program Dean or designate, who, in addition to transfer credits, may grant course exemptions. In this case, bulk transfer credits are awarded and an individual program of study is prescribed for the student. Students are advised to contact the Registrar or the program Dean or designate for more information.

Bulk transfer credit may also be considered for a student who has accumulated a number of college credits with an overall ‘C’ average. If a student subsequently changes programs, bulk transfer credits will be reassessed in keeping with specific program requirements.

When Advanced Standing is granted, an exemption will appear on the Cambrian transcript. This is not calculated in the Grade Point Average.



Note: Credits, which are more than five years old, may be evaluated to ensure that the skills and competencies are still adequate, for some programs the lapse may be less than five years and these will be considered on a case by case basis by the Dean or designate. This may be achieved by reviewing the course materials, or conducting a written, oral or skills assessment to ensure that the intervening years have enabled the student to maintain his/her course competency.

Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR)

Many adults have acquired learning through work experience, self-study, and volunteer work or through professional development. Assessment of prior learning enables the student to demonstrate that he/she will have the necessary knowledge or skills to successfully obtain college credit, which may then be applied to an appropriate program. It is not necessary for a student to have been admitted to a program to register for this process; however, it is beneficial to know what program interest he/she has. The fee for each assessment is regulated by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities Tuition and Ancillary Fees Binding Policy Directive.

Credits obtained through Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) will be recorded with the grade earned and the same will be used in the calculation of the grade point average when possible. An ‘F’ grade obtained through a Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition will not appear on a student’s transcript.



  • Laurentian University School of Nursing 4 Year Collaborative BScN Program, Cambrian College Site, Student Handbook
  • PLAR at Cambrian College – Definitions
  • PLAR at Cambrian College – Policies at-a-glance

Updated December 11, 2013