Build your skills to launch a rewarding career where you can make a difference in the lives of individuals who have special needs – without having to leave your home community.
The Developmental Services Worker – Alternate Delivery program is delivered as a combination of virtual video instruction, online courses, and field placement, a great option if you require flexibility in your College schedule.
You'll first learn about the stages of human development, the types of developmental disabilities, and the range of community supports. In the following semesters, you will learn intervention techniques, person-centered planning, abnormal psychology/dual diagnosis, basic pharmacology, how to support people with autism, augmentative forms of communication, and prevention of and effective responses to people who have been abused. You will also develop the relationship building and critical thinking skills required to assist people with intellectual disabilities in identifying problems and solutions.
You will come away from this program with many practical skills, including how to:
- Communicate with clients in sign language and picture symbols
- Safely administer medications
- Create effective plans to teach new skills and behaviours and how to reinforce and maintain effective skills and positive behaviours over time
- Assist individuals with physical disabilities
- Help those with special needs to integrate into the community
- Work with families
What's in it for you?
- Community support worker
- Educational / teaching assistant
- Seniors program counsellor
- Residential counsellor
- Day program counsellor
- Classroom assistant in a daycare program
Across these career outcomes, salaries in Canada range from:
$33,300 to $44,800
In-class learning will be complemented by extensive hands-on experience gained through five block placements, beginning with a placement one day a week for nine weeks in semester and continuing with placements in semesters three and four.
Plan your future
Next Session start
Available delivery options
- Flex learning
Graduate in 2019*
*Minimum Full time length is 2 years