Cambrian College and the Atikameksheng Anishnawbek First Nation, as represented by Chief Edward Steve Miller and Council, announced the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) that will serve as a framework for strengthening their working relationship; addressing the educational needs of the First Nation; and promoting Indigenous culture at the College.
The partnership will be mutually-beneficial to the College and Atikameksheng, with a goal of improving the quality of life of community members in and around the unceded Anishnaabe territory through the delivery of postsecondary education and training that supports the creation of a productive, inclusive and self-sufficient community.
As partners, Cambrian College and Atikameksheng Anishnawbek will:
- Focus on skills development, training and promotion of Indigenous culture and education
- Work towards increasing recruitment, retention and graduation rates among Atikameksheng Anishnawbek students
- Increase the visibility and promote the success of Atikameksheng Anishnawbek students
- Identify opportunities for collaboration in the development of new course curricula, academic programming, research initiatives, and funding supports
- Strengthen opportunities for input and participation through the College’s Circle for Indigenous Education
- Explore the delivery of Cambrian College programs and services through community-based delivery in Atikameksheng
The agreement signed today provides a stronger future for our community – a future that is rooted in our past and driven by our values, culture and traditions. Through this partnership, we will have a stronger voice in the development of programs and training that supports the unique needs of our community.
This is an important day for Cambrian College. We acknowledge the traditional territory of the Atikameksheng Anishnawbek First Nation, and therefore, it is vitally important to work together to enhance the opportunities for all who live, learn and work here. This agreement reflects our shared commitment to invest in the future of Indigenous learners and our goal of fostering a better understanding of Indigenous culture.
About Cambrian College
Since 1967, Cambrian College has been the leading post-secondary institution in northern Ontario and is the first choice for those in northern Ontario who are looking to pursue a distinctive college education. Cambrian’s diverse and top-notch programs prepare learners for a bright future in the global marketplace. The College is also a nationally-recognized leader in Indigenous education. Its Wabnode Centre for Aboriginal Services is a driver of education and training partnerships with Indigenous communities across the North and a focus for enhancing cultural pride and awareness across campus.
Director of Operations
705-692-3651, ext. 243
705-566-8101, ext. 6375