International Students – Apply

Congratulations! You’ve decided to apply to Cambrian College. You are about to embark on an exciting adventure and we wish you both a culturally and an academically rewarding experience!

There are several steps before planning your journey to Canada. The following checklist is intended to assist you in making sure that you are successful:

Sending in your application

  • Have you planned how you will pay for your studies, travel and living expenses?
  • Are you sure you meet all the admission requirements for this program?
  • If you are a student applying from India or China do you meet Student Partners Program (SPP) requirements?
  • Have you completed all parts of the application form, including address, program(s) of choice, birth date, signature, etc.?
  • Have you included a copy of your passport?
  • Have you included all relevant certificates and transcripts?
  • If your certificates or transcripts are not in French or English, have you included a translation?
  • If you are submitting your application by email are your photocopies of your certificates or transcripts notarized ?

Steps to apply

  • Ensure you meet the entrance requirements for the program.
  • If applying from India or China – please review the SPP requirements
  • If you meet all requirements submit an application form.
  • Submit NOTARIZED copies of your transcripts from high school and college/university and diplomas received. If your documents are not in English, we require translated notarized copies and notarized copies of the originals.
  • Submit a copy of the photo and signature page of your passport (and study permit if you have one)

Email documents to or mail to:

Cambrian College
International Department
1400 Barrydowne Road
Sudbury, Ontario
Canada P3A 3V8

After you send in your application

  • Have you received your Official Letter of Admission?
  • Have you paid your first full year tuition and fees?
  • Have you received your receipt for your fee payment?
  • Have you applied for your Canadian Study Permit/Visa?
  • Optional:
    Have you sent your application to stay in Residence?
    If you prefer off-campus housing, have you advised our office to assist you in finding suitable accommodations?
  • Have you made travel arrangements for your trip to Canada?
  • Have you advised our office of your arrival in Sudbury?

Good luck in your preparations. We look forward to greeting you on Canadian soil!


View the Requests for refunds policy.


Which programs are open to international applicants?

International applicants may apply to any full-time Cambrian program. However, enrolment limits in some programs—such as Health and Trades—may mean increased competition for spots in these programs. In such cases, priority will be given to Canadian applicants. View the list of recommended programs for international students.

Is a Cambrian diploma recognized?

Yes. Cambrian College is a fully-accredited and publicly-funded community college functioning under the direction of the provincial Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities. For this reason, its full-time post secondary programs have been approved and are fully recognized by the Ministry.

When do classes start?

Most of our programs start in late August, but some start in January with special schedules. Please contact us for additional information.

What is OCAS?

OCAS stands for Ontario College Application Service. This is the agency through which all Canadian students must apply to colleges in Ontario. See their website at for more information.

Do I have to apply through OCAS?

No, as an international student, you can apply directly to the College. You'll need a Cambrian College application for this.

Is there an application fee?

If you apply directly to the college there is no application fee.  If you apply through OCAS, you will need to pay an application fee to OCAS.

Do I have to pay my fees in full?

First year tuition and fees are due prior to student visa application. Should you be refused a study visa, we will refund your tuition and fees.

Can I apply by email or fax?

Yes you can apply by email or fax.  Please insure you send notarized copies of your transcripts, certificates/diplomas, and passport. Apply Now >

Can I have my original transcripts returned?

Yes. If you have mailed in your original transcripts and your visa has been refused, please let us know and we would be happy to return your transcripts. For students who have successfully obtained their visa, you can pick up your transcripts when you arrive at Cambrian College in the International Office.

What is an "official letter of admission"?

Once we have received your application fee and assessed your application, we will send you an official letter of admission to use as part of your application for a Study Permit to study in Canada.

What is a Study Permit?

All non-Canadian potential students must apply for a Study Permit to study in Canada. You cannot study in Canada without this visa. This is issued by the Canadian Embassy, Consulate, or High Commission office closest to your place of residence. Applications and further information are available from any Canadian Embassy office or from the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

I was issued a Canadian Study Permit what?

Congratulations! You are now ready to make your travel plans. You should plan to arrive one to two weeks prior to the start of classes so that you can settle in and get to know Sudbury and the College before you concentrate on your studies.

Remember to get a connecting flight to the Sudbury airport. You can also take the Greyhound bus from Toronto.

If you would like pick up service at the Sudbury Airport or Greyhound bus terminal, please complete the international arrival information form at least one week prior to your travel arrangements.

Can I start my program late?

On your Official Letter of Admission, we will indicate the expiry date of your letter of acceptance. No student will be permitted to enroll beyond the date indicated.

Can I pay my fees in U.S. funds?

Our preference is Canadian funds, of course. But, if your bank is unable to draw on Canadian funds, please have them convert the payment amount for you according to the exchange rates at the time of payment. It is your responsibility to ensure that the converted amount covers the full tuition owing in Canadian funds despite the difference in exchange rates that we will encounter by the time we receive and deposit your cheque.

Cambrian College utilizes Flywire for all payments made outside of Canada. Payment can be made by bank wire, debit/credit card and other online methods. Founded by a former international student, Flywire’s mission is to save money for international students and their families that would otherwise be lost on bank fees and unfavourable foreign exchange rates.

Can I get financial assistance to study at Cambrian?

International students are not eligible for the same assistance granted to our Canadian students.

However, Cambrian College is pleased to inform you that we do have over $50,000 in scholarships specifically for International students and International students are eligible for $100,000 in non-specific awards.  We let you know when the scholarships are open for application and how to apply!  Follow us on Facebook or Twitter for more information.

All amounts are quoted in Canadian funds and are listed for reference only. They may be subject to change.

Can I work part-time on-campus while studying?

Students have the opportunity to apply to jobs on campus. Currently we have $30,000 for student intern positions on campus specifically for International Students.  The international office makes every effort of inform our students of these opportunities.  We also have an excellent student employment office that can aid students in creating their cover letter, resume and preparing for an interview!

All amounts are quoted in Canadian funds and are listed for reference only. They may be subject to change.

How safe is the Cambrian campus?

Cambrian offers 24-hour, on-campus security services at its Barrydowne campus (where the Barrydowne Residence is located). The campuses are monitored by state-of-the-art video cameras. In Residence, individual bedroom doors are equipped with key-lock systems as are the front doors to each unit and the main building.

A campus watch program is also available at the Barrydowne campus for students who wish to be accompanied to their Residence units from elsewhere on the campus on scheduled evenings. The surrounding areas are also considered very safe locations as is the City of Greater Sudbury in general.