Cambrian College is offering an entrepreneurship training program for young adults ages 18 to 30 that gives you the foundation to develop, plan, and launch your business idea. You will be guided by Cambrian staff and community mentors who will take you through three phases of skill-building to set you up for success. Throughout each phase, you will be engaged in activities for 6 hours per day, 5 days per week, and will be paid an allowance equivalent to the Ontario minimum wage rate.
Duration: May 7 – November 30 (30 weeks)
Application deadline: April 20, 2018
Spots available: 8
Times: Monday – Friday from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Location: Espanola campus
- Phase 1: Essential skills development and employability-based workshops (4 weeks)
- You will be engaged in group-based workshops that will prepare you for entrepreneurship and employment.
- Self-awareness, financial literacy, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills will be taught, as will résumé and cover letter writing, effective interviewing, job maintenance, and job retention.
- Phase 2: Entrepreneurial skills development and business plan development, implementation, and start-up (14 weeks)
- You will participate in business plan development training and business skills workshops. A variety of hands-on and independent instructional styles will be utilized based on the needs of the group.
- Workshop topics will include, but are not limited to: introduction to business bookkeeping; computers and basic website development; marketing, sales, promotion, and social media; day-to-day business operations; recruiting, hiring, and managing employees; regulations, legislation, and taxation; and market research.
- Consultants from the community, including small business owners, will assist in delivering workshops.
- You will be paired with a mentor from within the community as you develop a multi-faceted business plan by identifying a business concept, conducting research, and further refining your concept.
- The final four weeks of this phase will focus on identifying sources of financing, securing financial supports, business registration, rental/lease agreements, permits, and licenses/legal requirements. You will also create an implementation, marketing, and promotional plan and will be trained on operational requirements such as purchasing stock and hiring staff. By the end of this phase, you will implement your business plan and launch your business.
- Phase 3: Business operation, mentorship, and aftercare (12 weeks)
- You will be engaged in active business start-up, operations, and growth activities that will allow you to further develop the business skills acquired from the previous workshops. You will also continue to work with business mentors to further develop your knowledge, expertise, and skills in business operation and management.
To get more information or to request an application, please contact: