Scope and Eligibility
Effective for students entering Cambrian College as of September 2017, applicants who have been granted an offer of admission to a qualifying full-time program and complete the eligibility questions within the myCambrian Applicant Portal may be eligible to receive an entrance award that will be credited to their Registration Fee at Cambrian College.
- To enhance accessibility to postsecondary education at Cambrian College for those students that can identify financial need/hardship
- Remove financial barriers to entering post-secondary education for first year, first semester students that demonstrate financial need/hardship throughout the application/confirmation/registration process
The award includes:
- A one-time $500 award to be applied to the applicant’s account to cover the Registration Fee (deposit) of $500. (See qualifying programs in Appendix A)
Only students who remain registered beyond day 10 of the Fall 2017 semester at Cambrian College that have been identified throughout the application process may claim this award.
Student Eligibility Requirements
Only students who register in semester 1 of an eligible program in fall 2017 and who have been identified throughout the application process as being within the top 196 applicants with financial need/hardship are eligible. There are a maximum number of awards and eligibility will be based on the highest financial need as demonstrated throughout the questionnaire process. Applicants must have confirmed their acceptance of an offer of admission to Cambrian College, have completed the questionnaire within the myCambrian portal and have been selected by the eligibility committee based on questionnaire results are eligible for the Entrance award Program.
The questionnaire will be accessible within the myCambrian portal and will open on May 8, 2017. The questionnaire will close at midnight on July 21st, 2017.
- What is your status? – Single, Married/Common-law
- Do you have dependent children? If yes, how many? 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9+
- Are you living at home with parent(s)/guardian(s)/official sponsor(s) or away from home? At Home/Away from Home
- What is your income from all sources world-wide, i.e. Employment, Government Benefits (CPP, EI, ODSP, etc.), Post-Secondary Support Program (Band Sponsorship), Child/Spousal Support, Educational Assistance Payments (RESP), etc. for the current calendar year (estimated)? $0-$5,000, $5,001-$10,000, $10,001-$15,000, $15,001+
- Do you know of any awards that you will be receiving not included in your income estimation? If so, how much? $1-$500, $501-$1,000, $1,001-$1,500, $1,500+
- Students may transfer into another qualifying academic program up to the last day to register for fall 2017 semester as defined in the 2017-2018 academic schedule.
- Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Resident or Refugee status is required to be eligible.
- A student transferring to Cambrian in semester two or higher in the fall 2017 semester is not eligible for the Entrance Award Program.
- Employees (or their dependents) qualifying for the Employee Tuition Fee Bursary program are not eligible.
- Student’s receiving tuition funding from the Second Career funding program are not eligible.
Processing the Applicant Award Program
Students applying in a qualifying program and completing the questionnaire within the myCambrian Portal before July 21st, 2017 will be submitted to the Eligibility Committee for review. Once identified within the top 196 financial need/hardship positions the applicant will receive notification of their award eligibility through the myCambrian portal and via email. Please see Appendix B for more details.
Award Recipients that have not completed the registration process by Day 10 of the first semester, first year 2017 will have the $500 removed from their account. The College reserves the right to limit access and/or to suspend the delivery of the Entrance Award program.
Academic programs qualifying for this program include:
Full-time Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development approved programs delivered by Cambrian College through its Sudbury, Espanola, or Little Current locations.
The programs must fall within the following categories to be eligible:
- a postsecondary Ontario College Certificate, Diploma, Advanced Diploma, or Graduate Certificate program
- a Degree program
- Pre-Health and Pre Trades Certificate program
- For a detailed list of programs and the prizes that are available, see Appendix B.
Academic programs for which this incentive is not available:
Apprenticeship programs, Adult Training Programs, Continuing Education courses or certificate programs, and any other courses or program activity for which the registrant is not required to pay a tuition fee are excluded from this award program.
List of Qualifying Programs for the Awards
Advanced Care Paramedic – Graduate Certificate
Art and Design Fundamentals
Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Business Accounting – Online
Business Administration – Accounting
Business Fundamentals – Online
Carpentry Renovation Techniques
Chemical Engineering Technology
Child and Youth Care
Civil Engineering Technician
Civil Engineering Technology
Community and Justice Services
Computer Systems Technology
Corporate Safety and Security
Dental Assisting (Levels I and II)
Design and Visual Arts
Developmental Services Worker
Developmental Services Worker – Alternate Delivery
Diagnostic Medical Sonography – Ultrasound
Early Childhood Education
Electrical Engineering Technician – Industrial
Electrical Engineering Technology
Environmental Field Techniques
Environmental Monitoring and Impact Assessment – Graduate Certificate
General Arts and Science
General Arts and Science – College Explorations
General Arts & Science – English for Academic Purposes
Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Technician
Heavy Equipment Technician
Human Resources Management – Graduate Certificate
Independent Music Production
Industrial Mechanical Millwright Technician
IT Business Analysis
International Business Management
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) – Graduate Certificate
Medical Laboratory Technology
Medical Radiation Technology
Mining Engineering Technician
Mining Engineering Technology
Mobile Application Development – Graduate Certificate
Motive Power Technician – Service and Management
Motive Power Technician – Truck and Coach
Music – Performance
Personal Support Worker
Personal Support Worker – Alternate Delivery
Physical Fitness Management
Power Engineering Techniques
Power Engineering Technician
Power Engineering Technology
Pre-Service Firefighter Education and Training
Project Management – Graduate Certificate
Protection, Security and Investigation
Public Relations – Graduate Certificate
Social Service Worker
Theatre Arts – Technical Production
Welding and Fabrication Technician
Entrance Award program
Once selected as an award recipient a notice will be posted to your myCambrian portal and you have access to register for first semester, first year classes associated with the full time program of your choice. The recipient of the award will NOT be required to pay Registration Fee associated with the program confirmation process.
Summary: Cambrian College is offering $98,000 worth of awards.
- A one-time $500 award to be credited to the applicant’s tuition account to cover the Registration Fee (deposit) only
Personal information is collected in accordance with sections 21, 39, and 43 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and under the legal authority of the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities Act R.S.O. 1990, and the Ontario and Technology Act, 2002, Regulations 34/03, and used for educational, administrative, and statistical purposes of the College.
Details for Students with Disabilities
Students with permanent disabilities, who require the accommodation of a reduced course load due to the impact of a documented disability, may be eligible to participate in the Program. For the purposes of this program, the definition of permanent disability is:
- A functional limitation caused by a physical or mental impairment that restricts the ability of a person to perform the daily activities necessary to participate in studies while enrolled in what the institution considers to be a full course load for the period of study in question, which impairment is expected to remain with the person for the expected duration of the person’s postsecondary studies.
- A student is required to identify him or herself to the appropriate person at Cambrian’s disabilities services office and present documentation confirming the disability and the need for a reduced course load as a learning accommodation. Such documentation must satisfy the college that it meets the following criteria:
- Medical documentation from an appropriate health care professional (e.g. a legally qualified psychiatrist/medical practitioner that indicates a permanent disability); or
- A learning disability assessment from a qualified assessor supporting the student’s permanent learning disability (e.g. a registered psychologist, or psychological associate).
- Attention Deficit Disorder and/or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) may be diagnosed by a registered psychologist with ADD/ADHD training; a neuro-psychologist; a psychological associate; and/or a relevantly trained medical doctor.
The ADHD assessment should outline the diagnosis and the impact of the hyperactivity or the lack of attention on learning.
A student must identify him or herself to the Cambrian disabilities services office no later than January 16, 2018, to be eligible to participate in the Entrance Award Program based on a modified course load.