Cambrian College’s School of Business and Information Technology requires part-time Professors to teach within the Computer Systems Technology program beginning September 2017.
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful applicants will teach in the following areas:
- Database Design (STY1211) – 4 hours/week – Students will begin a path of study that involves managing information in an enterprise. Learners will use the SQL language to define data structures and modify data using a relational database management system (RDBMS). Lessons within this course will include: querying, inserting, updating and deleting data from existing databases; implementing databases from a design; and finally, designing a database to meet various business requirements. MySQL, MySQL Workbench, SQL DML, SQL DDL, and database normalization rules are the main course topics. This course is a first course in database fundamentals that prepares the student for a role supporting information management within an enterprise. Required: Postsecondary diploma or degree in Computer Science with five years of work experience in designing databases.
- Introduction to Programming (CMP1117) – 4 hours/week – Students will investigate and apply various approaches to problem-solving systems. This begins with solving simple problems in code. The student must then consider how to break larger problems down into a series of smaller problems. Students will evaluate and create simple algorithms and be introduced to built-in data structures. Finally, the student will work with custom, programmer defined objects. Data persistence will be managed using File IO. Required: Postsecondary diploma or degree in Computer Science or Software Development with five years of experience working with programming.
- Proven ability to provide leadership, to think critically, and to communicate effectively in a professional manner.
- Ability to be an effective role model in the classroom.
- Ability to utilize creative teaching approaches and current and emerging teaching and learning strategies to enhance student progress.
- Possess good organizational skills and sound computer software skills.
- Ability to function within a team environment.
Assets / Preferred
- Previous teaching experience at the postsecondary level.
* All candidates will be required to undergo a mini-teaching simulation during the interview process.
Interested individuals may apply, by email only, with a cover letter quoting the competition number, and a résumé, detailing education and experience, to:
Human Resources Department
While all responses are appreciated, only those applicants who will be invited for an interview will be contacted.
Cambrian College is committed to creating an accessible, inclusive, and diverse workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals, including; women; persons with disabilities; racialized peoples; Indigenous people; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression. All who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the College environment are encouraged to apply.