Cambrian College’s School of General Studies requires part-time Professors to teach in the General Arts and Sciences program from January 2018 to April 2018.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Academic Manager, the Professors will teach within the following courses:
- Advanced Pre-Health Math (MTH1213) – Students will be introduced to the principles of statistical presentation in the form of charts, graphs, and tables. They will calculate and infer measures of centre and variation for raw and tabulated data. Students will apply the concepts of probability and also explore the normal distribution to determine probabilities based on known values for both an individual and a sample, estimate the population proportion, and determine confidence levels. Classroom theory will be supplemented by the use of Microsoft Excel’s spreadsheet software to perform equation calculations, statistical dataset analysis, graphical data presentation, and regression analysis.
- Health Science Physics II (PHY1002) – Students will continue to build upon concepts developed in Health Science Physics I in the application of physical concepts that relate to the health science field. This course stresses problem-solving in the study of sound/ultrasound diagnostics, electricity, magnetism, and the effects of electromagnetic radiation on the human body. Students will focus on the physics of radiation therapy in diagnostics and treatment of disease states. This course is mandatory for students wishing to enter into the diploma Health Science Imaging programs at Cambrian College upon completion of the Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Advanced Diplomas and Degrees program.
- Issues & Ethics in Science (SCI1000) – Students will explore scientific and technological advancements and consider the issues and ethical concerns associated with these developments. The process of scientific change and its implications will be examined. Topics include: the environment, food and water, energy, technology, sports, and health. Modern science and technological developments have made our lives healthier, more affluent, and more convenient.
- Postsecondary degree preferably in Mathematics or Science. (Recent graduates may also be considered).
- Excellent interpersonal skills and superior oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to be an effective role model in the classroom.
- Ability to utilize creative teaching approaches as well as current and emerging teaching and learning strategies to enhance student progress.
- Possess good organizational skills and sound computer software skills.
- Ability to function within a team environment.
Assets / Preferred
- Masters degree and/or a Bachelor of Education.
- Teaching experience at the postsecondary level.
- Three years of teaching experience.
* All candidates will be required to undergo a mini-teaching simulation during the interview process.
Interested individuals may apply, by email only, with a cover letter quoting the competition number, and a résumé, detailing education and experience, to:
Human Resources Department
While all responses are appreciated, only those applicants who will be invited for an interview will be contacted.
Cambrian College is committed to creating an accessible, inclusive, and diverse workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals, including; women; persons with disabilities; racialized peoples; Indigenous people; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression. All who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the College environment are encouraged to apply.