Cambrian College’s Library and Learning Commons requires a full-time Library Technician beginning June 2017.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide direction and assistance to students and staff using the Library and its resources, with an emphasis on periodicals.
- Maintain the Library periodicals collection and interlibrary loan services.
- Sort and distribute mail.
- Contribute to collection development by submitting requests for additions to the collection, perform inventory and weeding activities, and maintain online Subject Guides for assigned program areas.
- Provide library instruction and outreach activities by demonstrating and explaining the online public catalogue, online databases, and Internet searches as reference tools.
- Develop information packages and presentations to deliver to students to promote information literacy skills.
- Track periodicals budget spending, enter information from invoices and credit memos to track amount committed and amount spent, and produce annual statistics on periodicals subscriptions and holdings.
- Perform original cataloguing and special projects, as required.
- Two-year diploma, preferably in the area of Library Information Technology.
- One year of experience in a postsecondary library using automated library systems and electronic resources.
- Experience using Springshare products, including LibGuides, LibAnswers, and LibAnalytics.
- Experience using email, phone, or virtual chat and delivering resource orientation sessions in a university, college, or public library environment.
- Solid technological orientation as this role works within a rapidly changing and highly technical environment.
- Must be a motivated professional with excellent interpersonal, communication, and time-management skills.
- High level of professionalism to liaise with students and stakeholders within the College community.
- Must be able to work independently and within a team environment.
Assets / Preferred
- Experience working directly with e-resources and/or library systems and software.
* All candidates selected for an interview will be required to undergo appropriate testing.
Interested individuals may apply, by email only, with a cover letter quoting the competition number, and a résumé, detailing education and experience, to:
Human Resources Department
While all responses are appreciated, only those applicants who will be invited for an interview will be contacted.
Cambrian College is committed to creating an accessible, inclusive, and diverse workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals, including; women; persons with disabilities; racialized peoples; Indigenous people; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression. All who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the College environment are encouraged to apply.