Cambrian College’s Glenn Crombie Centre for Student Support requires a Disability Advisor beginning September 2017.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Advise students, community members, College staff, agency partners, and business partners of the services provided by The Glenn Crombie Centre for Student Support.
- Sound knowledge of the identification, implementation, and monitoring of accommodations.
- Provide current and up-to-date knowledge of assistive technologies, support services, and learning strategies appropriate for a range of learning needs.
- Work in collaboration with students to develop a plan of action related to academic and employment planning.
- Provide recommendations regarding services and accommodations that are appropriate, reasonable, and will assist individuals in establishing academic and/or employment goals.
- Act as a case manager, facilitating the co-ordination and implementation of services between internal and external contacts such as community service providers, faculty, and various College departments.
- Consult and collaborate with external community agencies, educators, counsellors, and health care professionals on a local and provincial scale.
- Three-year diploma or degree in the area of Social Work, Humanities, or a Disability related field.
- Three years of hands-on experience.
- Sound knowledge and use of adaptive technology, assistive devices, and community and College services and resources.
- Must have a broad knowledge and awareness of a wide scope of disabilities and their impact on academic and employment situations to ensure individuals have access to appropriate accommodations and to reduce barriers.
- Demonstrate strong familiarity and knowledge of various screening and assessment tools.
- Must be a self-directed and highly motivated professional with excellent interpersonal and time management skills, along with excellent communication skills, and be able to work independently and within a team environment.
Assets / Preferred
- A master’s degree in Psychology, Education, or Social Work and completion of the Applied Learning Disability Specialist Certificate (LDGC).
* All candidates selected for an interview will be required to undergo appropriate testing.
Interested individuals may apply, by email only, with a cover letter quoting the competition number, and a résumé, detailing education and experience, to:
Human Resources Department
While all responses are appreciated, only those applicants who will be invited for an interview will be contacted.
Cambrian College is committed to creating an accessible, inclusive, and diverse workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals, including; women; persons with disabilities; racialized peoples; Indigenous people; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression. All who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the College environment are encouraged to apply.